$1275
$2000

Men’s Track and Field: Bombers finish second at state championships

The men’s track and field team came up just short in its quest for a third straight New York State Collegiate Track Conference Outdoor title Saturday, finishing second out of 10 teams at Ned Harkness Field in Troy, N.Y. The Bombers wound up with 166 points, 14 points behind host Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

The Bombers won six events at the meet. Senior co-captain Kyle Devins won the long jump with a mark of 7.07 meters, well above the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference championship qualifying mark. Having already met the ECAC qualifying mark in the preliminaries of the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.42 seconds, sophomore Chris Mastrosimone proceeded to win the event in an even faster 48.50 seconds.

Senior co-captain Max Orenstein met the ECAC-qualifying mark in two different events when he won the 100-meter dash in 10.84 seconds and the 200-meter dash in 22.17 seconds. Mastrosimone finished fifth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.44 seconds, but met the ECAC qualifier when he finished third in the preliminaries with a time of 22.09 seconds.

Rounding out the Bombers’ victories, junior Travis Johnson won the triple jump with a mark of 13.65 meters and the Bombers won the 4×400-meter relay in an ECAC-qualifying 3:21.24.

The Blue and Gold also met ECAC qualifiers in 10 other events. Junior Jusan Hamilton finished third in the hammer throw with a mark of 47.55 meters and senior co-captain John Davis finished eighth in the 3000-meter steeplechase. The Bombers relay team finished second in the 4×100-meter relay with a time of 42.85 seconds.

Graduate student William Way finished third in the 1500-meter run in 3:58.05 and fifth in the 5,000-meter run in 15:08.04. Junior Brian McCormick finished ninth in the 1500-meter run in 4:00.05.

Finally, in the 400-meter hurdles, junior Dan Moloney finished second in 55.35 seconds, sophomore Ian Tapler finished fifth in 55.93 seconds and sophomore Matt Confer finished sixth in 56.23 seconds.

The Bombers return to action at 2 p.m. Friday when they begin two days of competition at the Last Chance Meet at Randall’s Island in New York, N.Y.

$1275
$2000