$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Softball: Blue and Gold fall to Cornell, sweep Elmira

The Bombers softball team lost both games of a doubleheader against Cornell University Wednesday, in a pair of games that were moved to Kostrinsky Field, before sweeping Elmira College at home yesterday. Both games against Cornell University were decided by three runs, game one ending up in a 5–2 loss for the Blue and Gold, and game two resulted in a tough 6–3 loss. Both games against the Elmira Soaring Eagles of the Empire 8 were decided by a single run, ending in scores of 3–2 and 2–1.

Ithaca acted as the road team in the doubleheader against the Cornell Big Red, batting in the top half of each inning. Senior pitcher and outfielder Britt Lillie was in the circle for game one, pitching six innings and allowing three earned runs. Senior second baseman Kait Dolan was flawless at the plate, going 3-for-3 with a run scored. Sophomore infielder Jen Biondi and senior designated player Kerry Barger each had an RBI.

The South Hill squad took a 2–1 lead into the seventh inning of game two before letting up an unearned run to send the game to extra innings. The Bombers again took the lead in the eighth inning off an RBI ground out from Biondi, but freshman pitcher Jillian Olmstead threw a wild pitch in the bottom half of the inning and the Big Red tied it once again to make it 3–3. The following batter, Cornell second baseman Jenny Edwards, smacked a three run home run off the left field foul pole for the game-winning hit. Olmstead took the tough loss, striking out six in the complete game effort.

Game one of the Elmira College doubleheader started Tuesday, but was halted with one out in the top of the fifth inning because of weather. Elmira got on the board early Tuesday, but the Bombers struck back with an RBI double from Lillie as well as a double steal. Senior pitcher and third baseman Allison Greaney led off the fifth inning with a single, stole two bases and scored on a wild pitch. The game picked up yesterday, beginning with Elmira College runners on first and second with one out. Freshman pitcher Jillian Olmstead came in and earned the save, throwing 2 2/3 innings of scoreless softball.

All of the runs in the second game came in the first inning. The Bombers took advantage of a sloppy Elmira defense that committed three errors in the game. Freshman outfielder Rachel Dell’Orto hit a single to score Lillie, and Barger scored from third on an error during the next at bat. The South Hill Squad managed just two runs off 11 hits and left a total of 13 runners on base. They also suffered from many miscues on the base paths, as Dell’Orto was caught stealing twice and sophomore Adrienne Walters was thrown out trying to steal third base late in the game.

The Bombers will look to capture the Empire 8 conference title when they square off against St. John Fisher College Saturday at Kostrinsky Field.

$1495
$2000