$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Softball: Bombers go 8–2 during spring break trip

The softball team went 8–2 in 10 games during a six-day spring break road trip to Clermont, Fla.

The South Hill squad began the 2011 regular season with five consecutive wins, including a pair of shutouts against Concordia University (Wis.) and University of Wisconsin-Stout on March 14. Seniors Allison Greaney and Britt Lillie were the winning pitchers in the 5–0 and 10–0 complete game victories, combining for 12 strikeouts and giving up only three hits.

The Blue and Gold did not allow an earned run in their first five wins. Prior to the consecutive shutouts, the Bombers did not give up any earned runs in 9–0 and 9–5 wins over Pine Manor College (Mass.) and Saint Joseph’s College, respectively. Senior catcher Kerry Barger was the biggest offensive force against Saint Joseph’s, going 3-for-4 with a pair of extra base hits and two runs scored.

Following an off day, the team split two games March 16, edging out University of Massachusetts-Boston 3–2 and losing a one run game to the Knights of SUNY-Geneseo. Lillie went 2-for-3 at the plate with a run scored in the win, while freshman pitcher Jillian Olmstead earned her second win in as many starts. The Bombers rebounded from a 4–0 deficit against SUNY-Geneseo before allowing a two-run home run in the seventh inning for their first loss.

The South Hill squad came out on the losing end of a 7–1 score at the hands of Rhode Island College the following day, then came back strong with three straight wins over the final two days of the tournament, where they outscored opponents 24–13. The three wins included a 4–2 triumph against Farleigh Dickinson-Florham University (N.J.), a 15–7 rout of Babson College (Mass.) and a tight 5–4 victory against SUNY-Plattsburgh.

The Blue and Gold will continue their season with a doubleheader March 26 at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y.

$1375
$2000