$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Three IC divers qualify for NCAA National Championships

SEAN DULLEA/THE ITHACAN
Senior Nickie Griesemer dives off the one-meter diving board in the NCAA Division III Region Four Diving Championships. Griesemer finished day one in first place with 494.85 points, qualifying her for nationals.

A week after hosting and winning the UNYSCSA Championships, the women’s diving team competed in the NCAA Division III Region Four Diving Championships Feb. 24 and 25.

After the first day of competition, graduate student Nickie Griesemer finished with a score of 494.85, earning her the first place spot. Junior Lindsey Suddaby finished with a score of 459.95 and finished in third-place.  

Griesemer and Suddaby secured their spots for nationals after finishing in the top four. Going into the final day of regionals, juniors Katie Helly and Alyssa Wishart were in good standing to possibly qualify for nationals as well.

After the first day of competition, the top four divers are guaranteed a spot in nationals, while the final three spots are decided after the second day of competition.

On Feb. 24, Helly finished in sixth place with a score of 455.05. Wishart was right behind her in seventh place with a total of 452.60.

On the final day of competition, Helly finished in 12th place with 386.16 points. She secured her spot at nationals by her composite score placing her in seventh overall. Wishart did not qualify for nationals as she finished with 416.80 points in seventh place.

The pressure was high during the competition, Helly said, because this is their ticket to nationals.

“Every year there is some pressure because it determines if we go to nationals, it doesn’t matter what we did last week at conference, we rocked conferences last week but that doesn’t matter anymore,” said Helly. “It’s a fresh start.”

While the women did feel the pressure, they focused on having fun, Wishart said.

“I just hoped to have fun, go kill it and go out there and do the best we can,” said Wishart.
The Blue and Gold will be competing in the NCAA Division III Championships from March 15–19 in Shenandoah, Texas.

$1375
$2000