$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s Basketball: Bombers’ rally falls short in loss to host Hope College

The women’s basketball team (8–2) staged a big comeback effort in the second half, but ultimately fell short in a 61-50 defeat at the hands of no. 18 Hope College in the final of Hope’s Post-Exam Jam yesterday.

The Bombers trailed by 15 points with 4:22 remaining in the game, but went on a 10-0 run to close the gap to a five-point deficit with 1:31 left to play. Sophomore guard Kathryn Campbell and senior guard Jacqueline Shinall spurred the run with three-point baskets.

The Flying Dutch made eight of nine free throws down the stretch to keep the South Hill squad at bay and walk away with the tournament championship. Hope went 23 of 33 from the charity stripe in comparison to the Bombers going eight of 12.

Sophmore forward Jennifer Escobido and junior forward Devin Shea were both named to the all-tournament team. Escobido led the Bombers in Saturday’s game with 14 points while Shea blocked three shots to move into seventh on the Bombers’ all-time blocked shots list with a career total of 58.

The South Hill squad has won eight of its first 10 games as it turns toward its Empire 8 Conference schedule. The Bombers’ only two losses have come against teams ranked in the top 20 in Division III. The Blue and Gold will have an extended break before opening their conference schedule with a home contest against St. John Fisher College at 6 p.m. on Jan. 6 in Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1495
$2000