$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

Women’s basketball sweeps William Smith with 29-point victory

ELEANOR KAY
From left, William Smith sophomore forward Maddie Patrick tries to defend against Ithaca College junior guard Hannah Polce.

The Ithaca College women’s basketball team led wire-to-wire for its second win of the season against the William Smith Herons on Jan. 27, winning by a score of 71–42.

After a 20-point win over the Herons on Jan. 7, the Bombers managed to put up an even bigger victory to improve to 14–2 on the season, 10–0 in the Liberty League, despite a thin roster due to injuries. The South Hill squad was led by senior forward Emily Dorn, who put up 18 points, nine rebounds and two blocks.

Dorn started the game off strong for the Bombers, putting up 14 of her 18 points in the first quarter. Just three minutes into the game, Dorn had six points and two rebounds as the Bombers sped to a 10–3 lead. At the end of the first frame, the Bombers were up 23–9, and the lead continued to grow.

Dorn did not add to her points in the second quarter, but senior guard Camryn Coffey, who had five points in the frame, helped pick up the slack as the balanced attack from the Bombers added 20 points to go into the half up 43–24. 

Coming out of the break, Dorn hit her first shot since the first quarter, followed up by a Coffey 3-pointer. Those shots, along with a turnaround jumper and a contested layup by senior guard Natalie Smith, put the Bombers up 54–28 early in the second half. Though the team tried, it simply could not get anything going behind the arc — going just 6-for-20 on the day.

With 10 minutes left to play and a 30-point lead, the Bombers took the final frame easy, being outscored by the Herons for the first time in the game 9–8. Near the end of the game, sophomore guard Shae Sabino went down with an injury, and was helped off the court, leaving the team with just nine active players.

Dorn said after the game that she was happy to have fans back — the Bomber faithful filled the stands in the first home game of the semester. The win was the ninth straight for the women, which she said is providing the squad with plenty of energy heading down the stretch.

“We’re determined to win every game,” Dorn said. “We’re taking every game day-by-day, that’s what we have to do, but we’re excited.”

The women are back in action at 2 p.m. Jan. 28 against the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1260
$2000