$1275
$2000

Women’s Swimming and Diving: Bombers finish fifth in inaugural Bomber Invitational

The women’s swimming and diving team placed fifth and tallied 952 points as a team over the three-day Ithaca Bomber Invitational this weekend, which featured many Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference teams in addition to Cornell University.

The Blue and Gold did not record any first places in the invitational, but senior Missy Keesler was able to secure second place in the 200-yard backstroke, finishing the event in a time of 2:07.86.

Junior Carly Jones, who competed in eight events during the invitational, finished sixth in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:44.89. Jones also led the 400-yard medley relay team to a fifth-place finish and a time of 4:06.12, and led the 800-yard freestyle relay group that finished with a time of 8:02.70.

Jones said remaining focused throughout the meet was one of the biggest challenges for the team, as individual members were looking to evaluate their own performances.

“We just want to be focused on what we have to do training-wise,” she said. “Our big focus is on the end of the year, not necessarily now.”

Sophomore Korie Fackler finished fourth in both the 1- and 3-meter dives with scores of 390.45 and 400.15 respectively.

Sophomore Elizabeth Gawrys competed in seven events during the meet, including the 400 individual medley in which she took fifth place with a time of 4:43.98. She also earned seventh place in the 100-yard freestyle, finishing the race in 54.19 seconds.

Cornell went on to win the meet, finishing with a total of 1,975 points, which was 600 points more than second place finisher SUNY-Geneseo. The Bombers defeated the Blue Knights on Nov. 19, but were well ahead of the Bombers for most of the meet. Geneseo Head Coach Paul Dotterweich said that his team far surpassed his expectations and that their training led to their execution.

“The girls were ready to come in here and prove that they we were a high-level program,” Dotterweich said.

Bombers Head Coach Paula Miller said her team gained a lot of experience from this meet because it helped them realize that there is a lot of competition from upcoming Empire 8 and ECAC opponents.

“Being a top-dog creates a problem,” said Miller. “Having Cornell here and some other good schools put things in perspective.”

$1275
$2000