$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s Tennis: Team wins seventh straight Empire 8 Conference Championship

The women’s tennis team won its seventh straight Empire 8 Championship with a 5-4 victory against Stevens Institute of Technology today at the United States Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. By capturing the conference title, the Blue and Gold earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championships in May.

The deciding match came at third singles when sophomore Becky Guzzo won in three sets. Guzzo won the first set 6-2, dropped the second 4-6 and won 6-2 in the third set. She was a part of three team points during the semifinal and championship matches and was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

Senior captain Kelsey Harness defeated Stevens junior Alexandra Handel in sixth singles 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Cary Siegel won her match, defeating Ducks senior captain Nicole Portner 6-2, 6-2 in second singles.

Ithaca built a 2-1 lead through the doubles matches. The third doubles team of freshman Allison Vizgaitis and junior Laurel Salladay won 8-5 against Stevens senior Morgan Scalzi and freshman Danielle Stewart. Junior Allison Young and Guzzo won firt singles 8-6, defeating freshman Jessica Bourque and sophomore Lisa Tessitore.

$1495
$2000