•  

September 26, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Sports

Wrestling: Blue and Gold finish eighth at New York State Wrestling Championships

The wrestling team finished eighth at the New York State Wrestling Championships this weekend at Cornell University. Seven Bombers achieved all-state honors in the tournament that featured teams in all collegiate levels.

RACHEL ORLOW/THE ITHACANFrom left, senior Matt Mahon takes on SUNY-Oswego freshman Branden Jones during the New York State Wrestling Championships in Cornell University’s Newman Arena.

Junior Jules Doliscar was the Bombers’ best performer with a third-place finish in the 174-pound weight class. As the second seed in the weight class, Doliscar defeated Cornell sophomore Mike Alexander but lost to third-seeded SUNY-Buffalo freshman Jake Waste in the semifinals.

Sophomore Dominick Giacolone moved up to the 133-pound weight class and finished sixth. Freshmen Grant Dickey and Marvin Amazan each finished seventh in the 165- and 133-pound weight classes.

Senior heavyweight Matt Mahon had a disappointing seventh placed finish after being seeded third overall. Mahon’s tournament started brightly with a pin just 20 seconds into his first match before being upset 3-2 in the quarterfinals by Niagara County Community College sophomore Lance Moore.

The Bombers will travel to SUNY-Oneonta for their penultimate dual-meet of their conference season Wednesday.