$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Wrestling: Heavyweight’s heroics give squad fourth straight win

While unranked in the national standings, senior heavyweight Matt Mahon is making a case to be the wrestling team’s most valuable competitor. His decision against freshman William Fletcher gave the fifth-ranked Bombers a 20-16 win against no. 29 Wilkes University last night in Wilkes-Barre Pa.

It was the Blue and Gold’s fourth straight win overall and fifth straight dual-meet victory.

The Colonels won their first three matches, which included a forfeit in the 133-pound match. Junior Rick Gomez and freshman Alex Gomez lost their bouts, with Rick losing a 9-1 major decision to Wilkes freshman Michael Fleck. The Bombers rallied for four straight wins afterward, with both graduate student Jeremy Stierly and junior Jules Doliscar recording 12-3 major victories.

After Colonels sophomore David Oberrender’s win cut the South Hill squad’s overall lead to 17-16, Mahon’s narrow 4-3 decision clinched the win. The loss ended an 11-match win streak for the Colonels and drops their record to 15–4 overall.

The Bombers improved to 12–2 overall and will wrap up their dual-meet season with a home contest Wednesday against SUNY-Cortland.

$1495
$2000