$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Softball: Bombers rally to sweep St. John Fisher College

The softball team is running a clinic on perseverance these days.

Back on Mar. 24th, the softball team rallied for four runs against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to score a dramatic victory. On Saturday, the Bombers rallied again in game one and controlled game two in a series sweep of St. John Fisher College winning by scores of 4-3 and 7-4. The Bombers increased their record to 13—10 and remain on top of the Empire 8 Conference.

In the first game, junior third baseman Molly O’Donnell singled to score junior  rightfielder Adrienne Walters in the top of the seventh, bringing the Blue and Gold within one run. Then, sophomore first baseman Sydney Folk uncorked on a double to left field to score two more runs to give her team the lead.

Errors plagued the Bombers earlier in the game. Sophomore pitcher Sam Bender got the start and allowed seven hits with three runs, all of which were unearned in her 4 and 2/3 innings pitched. Fellow sophomore pitcher Jillian Olmstead replaced Bender in the fifth and was able to hold the Cardinals scoreless to get the win.

St. John Fisher limited the South Hill squad’s offense, especially in the middle innings by only allowing runs in the first and seventh innings. Walters reached on a Cardinals’ error, and freshman Francesca Busa was hit by a pitch to start the Bombers’ seventh inning rally.

Junior designated player Jen Biondi was instrumental in the Bomber’s second victory of the day, playing in her first game since March 12 after suffering an injury in Florida. Biondi went 3-for-4 and had 3 RBIs in the 7-4 win.

The Blue and Gold scored five runs in the first three innings and held off a Cardinal rally in the third inning to retain the lead at 5-4. The Cardinals chased Bender after she surrendered four earned runs on eight hits. As in game one, Olmstead was called on in relief, and again she held the Cardinals scoreless through the remaining 4 and 1/3 innings. She finished the day with two wins, four hits, and three strikeouts in 8 and 2/3 scoreless innings pitched combined in two games.

The Bombers added insurance in the fifth inning as Folk delivered with another RBI double, giving her three RBIs combined in both games.

The Blue and Gold will continue their Empire 8 action at 1 p.m. todat, as they will remain in Rochester, N.Y. to face the Nazareth College Golden Flyers.

$1520
$2000