$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Softball: South Hill squad ends road trip with back-to-back shutouts

The softball team entered its five-series road trip with an overall record of  9-10. But with a rejuvenated offense and solid pitching, they have surged above the .500 mark and currently hold a mark of 18-11 overall following yesterday’s doubleheader sweep against King’s College.

After suffering their only road loss in this 10-game set against SUNY-Oneonta on Tuesday, the Blue and Gold responded with 4-0 and 9-0 shutout victories against the Monarchs yesterday.

Sophomore pitcher Sam Bender got the nod for the Bombers, picking up her eighth win of the season in a complete game effort in Game 1. She gave up only three hits and struck out a season-high eight batters. Bender also pitched a scoreless inning to start the second game.

The South Hill squad took control early in the first game, scoring three runs in the second inning on an RBI triple by sophomore outfielder and second baseman Julianne Vincent and an RBI double by junior catcher Lindsey Johnson.

A sacrifice bunt by junior outfielder and second baseman Adrienne Walters gave the Bomber’s their third run of the inning. Walters later scored in the fifth inning for added insurance. Walters, Vincent and Johnson finished with two hits apiece in the game.

The Blue and Gold took an even earlier lead in Game 2, scoring three runs in the first inning. An RBI single by sophomore catcher Sydney Folk gave the Bombers the first run, but the Monarchs also committed a throwing error and a wild pitch. The Bombers scored an additional five runs in the third inning to put the game out of reach for the Monarchs. The game was called after five innings because of the eight-run mercy rule.

The South Hill squad finished the day with a total of 21 hits, 12 of which came in Game 2.

Sophomore pitcher Jillian Olmstead silenced the Monarchs’ bats, surrendering only two hits in four innings pitched while striking out four. She also collected her 10th win of the year in the process.

The Bombers return home to face the Alfred University Saxons at 1 p.m. Saturday on Kostrinsky Field.

$1520
$2000