$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Syd Pierre named next editor in chief of The Ithacan

Nolan Saunders
Junior Syd Pierre was interviewed for the role of editor in chief of The Ithacan by the Board of Publications on April 7 and was appointed shortly after with recommendation from the Board of Publications and approval from the dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications.

Ithaca College junior Syd Pierre, who has a major in journalism with a double minor in honors and women’s, gender, and sexuality studies, has been appointed editor in chief of The Ithacan for the 2023–24 academic year.

Pierre was the only candidate interviewed for the role by the Board of Publications on April 7. Pierre was interviewed by the board via Zoom because she is currently abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. The board made the recommendation for her appointment to Amy Falkner, dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications, who accepted and appointed Pierre to the position. 

Pierre began working for The Ithacan as a Student Governance Council beat reporter as a first-year student in 2020. She was hired as an assistant news editor for Fall 2021, studied at the Ithaca College London Center in Spring 2022, and was news editor for Fall 2022.

Pierre also interned at the Women’s Sports Foundation in summer 2021 and Fall 2021, and at The Ithaca Voice in summer 2022. She was also a circulation assistant volunteer at the Tompkins County Public Library and is volunteering remotely for Buffalo Street Books for Spring 2023.

$1495
$2000