$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Starbucks closures in Ithaca fuel union-busting claims

Grace Vanderveer/The Ithacan
Since 2022, Starbucks employees across New York State have fought for unionization and better working conditions. An official from Starbucks stated that the unions did not cause the closures, but some employees do not believe this statement. 

The closures of the last two Starbucks locations in Ithaca on May 26 have fueled ongoing claims of union-busting tactics and mistreatment by Starbucks.

Since 2022, Starbucks employees across New York State have fought for unionization and better working conditions. Starbucks Workers United, an organization that aims to unionize Starbucks workers in the United States, has aided in fighting against the alleged anti-union efforts, like firing experienced workers. Starbucks locations on The Commons, Meadow Street and Collegetown unionized in April 2022, making Ithaca the first city to have all locations unionized.

However, the Collegetown location closed in June 2022 and in the same month, Starbucks employees filed lawsuits against the company for anti-union efforts. This caused the National Labor Relations Board to place a cease and desist order: a letter that prevents illegal labor practices.

According to an article from the Ithaca Voice, an official from Starbucks stated that the unions did not cause the closures, but some employees do not believe this statement

From May 10 to 26, employees and Ithaca residents picketed outside of the Meadow Street location and on The Commons. 

Bob Bussel, director of the Labor Education and Research Center and professor of history at the University of Oregon, said he believes that the closures are a managerial strategy many companies enact when faced with strong unions.

“There’s a number of different reasons and rationales that Starbucks management will give for closing these locations, but I think they strain credulity,” Bussel said. “I think they clearly are designed to send a signal to workers that Starbucks is pretty clear that they don’t want a union and they will selectively close facilities. And I think generally they’re closing ones that were hotbeds of union activity to make workers feel weak and powerless.”

Unions are shown to lessen inequality for workers by increasing wages, according to an article by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Starbucks Workers United filed a 10(j) petition, which will reopen all three of the Starbucks locations in Ithaca if granted. Section 10(j) Injunction is a section of the National Labor Relations Act that prevents unfair labor practices. 

Evan Sunshine was first a barista at the College Avenue location, which shut down in June 2022, and then moved to The Commons location. Sunshine is now an active protestor. He said Starbucks Workers United worked hard to organize the unions and is disappointed by the company’s decision to close all locations in Ithaca. 

“I’m not surprised at this kind of behavior from Starbucks,” Sunshine said. “It’s closed a handful of union stores, but to pull out of an entire city due to a union campaign is unprecedented.”

Sunshine said employees who helped organize the unions might have difficulty finding work elsewhere. 

“Community businesses who have insight into the fact that these workers organized a union would be reluctant to let those workers be hired at their own workplaces, in fear of their own workplaces getting unionized,” Sunshine said. 

In 2022, the company was accused of 29 unfair labor practices that included over 200 violations of the NLRA, according to an article from CNBC.

Kolya Vitek, who was a barista at The Commons location, said the company’s union-busting actions have caused him and his fellow employees to be in a constant state of anxiety, as they are not sure what is next for them.

“As someone who has experienced union-busting firsthand, I can tell you it is disgusting,” Vitek said. “I’ve seen a lot of my friends get fired because of it and a lot of my friends get put into really terrible situations because Starbucks just can’t accept that.” 

Quinn Wittman ’23 said they have been a part of the company for two and a half years and loved their job because of the customer interaction. However, union-busting tactics, like firing baristas for unionizing, have caused them to contemplate their future with the company.

“I love talking to people and I love making coffee, but the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we all were exploited,” Wittman said. “It’s hard for me to want to go back and continue … for this company that fired me with a phone call.” 

Wittman said the company offered to discuss severance packages and transfer rights with employees.

“I personally am going for the severance package,” Wittman said. “I think my time with this company might need to take a break.”

Bussel said he is surprised by Starbucks’ union-busting tactics because of its positive image in the past. For example, the company prides itself on the Starbucks College Achievement Plan, which provides 100% tuition coverage for employees that receive an online bachelor’s degree from Arizona State University. 

“Starbucks may particularly be given its image as a ‘progressive company,’ one that does all these things for workers,”  Bussel said. “The cost of [Starbucks] not negotiating with the union may exceed what it would cost to actually negotiate with them.”

Vitek said he appreciates the support the Ithaca community has shown, like picketing outside of the locations in Ithaca. He said that fighting against anti-union efforts will be an uphill battle against a large company like Starbucks.

“Just the act of fighting itself and having people show up and fight for us is also like us reclaiming our dignity,” Vitek said.

However, Sunshine said that even though he believes that Starbucks has come to a final decision in Ithaca, the work the community and Starbucks Workers United have done will continue to positively impact employees at other Starbucks locations.

“We appreciate the community support, especially support from members of the local and state governments,” Sunshine said. “I think that the solidarity is really important and perhaps it could uplift current workers at Starbucks and help them be able to find other jobs.”

Jorge DeFendini, Fourth Ward Common Council member, has supported Starbucks employees’ efforts to fight against Starbucks’ anti-union busting tactics and was present when Cornell University students were pushing to remove the store on campus. However, the store is still on the campus, as Cornell President Martha Pollack stated that the college’s contract with the company ends in 2025. But the college will begin to review the contract Fall 2024 and will come to a decision on the next contract with the company.  

Ducson Nguyen, Second Ward Council member, and Tompkins County Legislator Veronica Pillar have also shown their support for the employees.  

In order for the employees and Starbucks to settle this dispute, Bussel said there has to be continued pressure on the company to negotiate with the union. 

“I would just say historically, there have been a lot of very powerful employers who said that they don’t want unions and in the end, they settled there and came to an agreement,” Bussel said. “I don’t think it’s impossible by any means, but it certainly is going to be a protracted fight.”

$1520
$2000