$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

What Patty Zimmerman Did For “Buzzsaw” Magazine

File Photo

In the spring of 1999, when “Buzzsaw” #1 circulated the Ithaca College campus, it was thrown away. Perhaps rightfully so? Back then, the “magazine” was a 24-page leaflet of cheap newsprint, pieced together with pirated Photoshop, not spell checked, barely edited — and the cover featured an inappropriate photo by my grandmother. 

If memory serves, that was a Friday. On Monday morning, Patty Zimmermann walked into Non-fiction Film Theory with the issue in her hand.  

“There’s some beautiful writing here,” she said. 

She must be talking about something else, I thought. Intellectually, Patty’s classes were demanding like no other; we’d been reading and discussing — in a way where you knew she’d re-read it — “A People’s History of the United States” [by Howard Zinn] and “History of Madness” [by Michele Foucult]. 

But she meant “Buzzsaw.” She began class that morning with an exposition on the deeper value of such an endeavor—socially, historically, communally and intellectually. It was over my head back then, but, like so much of what Patty said, taught and made happen,  the impact would reveal itself over time. 

Yes, Patty made things happen. Unlike many great talkers (and ask around — Patty was a great talker) she saw things through. After class that morning, she asked how she could help with “Buzzsaw.” Bravely, I asked for money, and her response was this: “I would be honored.” 

Not only did she buy our first ads (IN HONOR OF KINO PILOTS, it said, which was lost on me at the time) but she contributed her own writing. Suddenly, “Buzzsaw” was publishing — alongside a fishing column and train-hopping photos — the work of a renowned film theorist. 

We stayed in touch. Over the years, she kept us aware of all things IC, Park and especially “Buzzsaw” — which was growing, she’d happily report. More pages. More funding. An office. And more people . . . But it wasn’t just that. Senior year, she got me a job. And years after graduation, I found out that my dad (a former IC film professor) was hired at SUNY Fredonia because of Patty. Years after that, when he passed away, Patty sent a beautiful note. “The students loved him,” she wrote. 

Four years ago, we celebrated “Buzzsaw” turning 20, and again, Patty had our back. She put a poster on her office door and got her compatriots to do the same. When our progress slowed a bit, Patty stepped in and made it happen: booking rooms, getting our catering paid for and arranging speakers — including former Park Dean Dr. Thomas Bohn, who it turned out was a fan from way back. When I gave the rambling keynote toast, the president of the college was there. 

(Who would have invited her?) 

When we last met, for a BLT in the café at Island Fitness, Patty’s 10th book was just out. But of course, she was more interested in “Buzzsaw” turning 25. What were we doing? Where would we do it? Could we get the barber shop quartet again? And above all, how could she help? 

That’s some time next year, in 2024, and it’s hard to believe that Patty won’t be there. 

Maybe not in person. But her care, enthusiasm and pure work ethic live on in “Buzzsaw”, and in each one of us, her Kino pilots. 

She’ll be there. 

Always. 

Cole Louison ‘00 is a former reporter for The Ithacan and co-founder of Buzzsaw — and an author, journalist and contributing reporter for the New York Times. 

View Comments (3)
$1520
$2000