$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Men’s soccer shoots for improved 2023 season

Coming off a 3–9–5 season that placed them eighth in the Liberty League, the Ithaca College men’s soccer team is looking for a turnaround this upcoming year. The Bombers are ready for another season of play and believe they have the potential to place highly in the Liberty League.

Last season, the team had difficulties on both sides of the ball, averaging 0.647 goals per game and recording only 52 total saves. Both marks landed them at the bottom of the Liberty League statistically. This season, the Bombers will look to rebound.

Head coach Garret Eldridge said he has high goals for the season but also wants to take it one day at a time.

“Our goal is to always become the best program or best team we can during the year,” Eldridge said. “We certainly have some individual daily goals that we want to hit, but goals in terms of the program is to win as many games as possible, compete to win the Liberty League and then to make a run into the NCAA tournament.”

Connor Tierney ’25 (GRACE CONDON/THE ITHACAN)

Junior midfielder Connor Tierney said he wants the team to reach its full potential and contend for a prize he has not been close to since being a first-year. He said he believes this year’s roster has the potential to excel.

“Our biggest goal, of course, is to win the Liberty League [championship],” Tierney said. “We came close my freshman year, and last year we really struggled. We got a good team coming in and a really good opportunity to win it all.”

Senior midfielder Reefe Harrison said he believes the team can make a run in the NCAA Division III tournament if everyone performs as expected, regardless of their position on the team.

“Everybody needs to play their role,” Harrison said. “If you’re a guy on the bench or the top goal scorer, you need to play your role really well and be proud of that role. If everyone is doing their job, then I think we have everything we need to succeed.”

To be eligible for a playoff run, the team does not necessarily have to claim the conference title, as 43 teams enter the tournament as automatic qualifiers after winning their leagues. However, the remainder of the teams in the tournament were granted at-large bids from the D-III men’s soccer committee. Last season, 20 teams that did not win their conference championship were awarded bids into the tournament.

The Liberty League is known to be a competitive conference and the Bombers will face multiple difficult opponents this year, like St. Lawrence University, Vassar College, Skidmore College and nationally ranked No. 10 SUNY Cortland. 

“We play in one of the toughest academic and athletic conferences in the country,” Eldridge said. “Any team in the Liberty League gives themselves a really good shot to be able to compete nationally. … Since 2018, I would say that almost all of those programs, at some point, have been ranked in the top 25.”

However, Harrison said the team is embracing this challenge, as this will only make them stronger and more qualified for the big dance in November. 

“We definitely have it cut out for us, having over half of our conference games away this year, and I think we have five or six away in a row,” Harrison said. “It’s definitely going to be tough, but I think we need to approach it with enthusiasm and just have fun beating teams on their home field.”

Tierney said he believes that playing against intense competition will make a solid program, like Ithaca College’s, even more improved.

“Metal sharpens metal,” Tierney said. “It’s always good to play against tough competition because that always just prepares you for the next game. Not only that, but we have big goals this season too, so we plan on making it to the NCAA tournament. We really do want a tough schedule all year long just to help us prepare for each game.”

This season, the team will add 14 new faces to the roster — 12 of the 14 being first-year students. Harrison said the team believes having strong leaders and role models will be a deciding factor in the outcome of this season.

Reefe Harrison ’24 (GRACE CONDON/THE ITHACAN)

“It’s what sets the team up for success in the coming years, even after I’m gone,” Harrison said. “We also have a really large incoming class, so it’s important to make them feel comfortable and integrated as soon as they get here.”

Tierney said his personal goals consist of trying to be the best player and role model he possibly can be.

“I’m just trying to dominate every game and be a good leader to the younger class,” Tierney said. “I had a lot of good mentors when I joined the team. My [first] year there were 15 or 16 seniors and [graduate students] just trying to be a leader out there and get [the first-year students] through both the soccer season and school.”

In addition to players, new assistant coach Nick Calo will also be joining the roster for the 2023 season. Prior to coming to the college, Calo served as the assistant soccer coach at Utica University from 2019–23. Eldridge said the team is excited to get a new set of eyes on the field.

“Whenever we add an assistant, we want to add a guy that’s capable of doing multiple things, whether that is coaching the team and also being a leader off the field,” Eldridge said. “We’re excited for what Nick brings. He certainly has done a tremendous job at Utica and has been involved in a high level of youth soccer as well at Orlando City. We’re looking forward to bringing him in to add to an already talented roster and program.”

Calo said that even though he has been in Ithaca for a short time, he already feels that the college is an enjoyable and supportive environment for him. He also feels as though he has some pieces to help the program get back on their feet.

“I believe I will add an attention to detail in training sessions and pre-game planning that will help the program with little things that might otherwise go unnoticed,” Calo said via email.  “Coach Eldridge has a great soccer mind, connects really well with the players, and maintains a well-organized and disciplined team. I’m confident I can add bits and pieces in between that allow a very hard-working group of players to achieve the results we want.”

Harrison said that because it is his final season with the Bombers, his ultimate goal is to leave everything he has on the field to bring his team to a long awaited conference victory.

“I’m ready to work hard,” Harrison said. “I mean, it’s the last ride, everything on the field, nothing to lose, just getting after it. I’m looking forward to it.”

The team will open up the season with its first game against SUNY Fredonia at 2 p.m. Sept. 2 at Carp Wood Field.