$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Men’s soccer breaks even against Fredonia

Malik Clement
From left, Bombers’ graduate student defender Brendan Lebitsch looks to push the ball down field with junior forward Kaleb Steward trailing.

The Ithaca College men’s soccer team faced the SUNY Fredonia Blue Devils on Sept. 2 at Carp Wood Field. Both teams fought back and forth resulting in a final score of 0–0 making the Bomber’s record 0–0–1.

To start the game, the South Hill squad found themselves with a fresh new starting lineup containing two new firstyear students and two new junior transfer students.

Both teams opened up the game aggressively with seven combined fouls within the first 16 minutes of game time. However, the Bombers played spectacular defense racking up many takeaways and allowing no shots on goal within the first 30 minutes while also having two shots on goal themselves in that time. The South Hill squad continued to push the ball downfield but could not seem to get the ball in the net. 

However, the Blue Devils pushed back, taking the ball away multiple times and playing physical defense. The foul trend continued for the remainder of the half with eight fouls for the Blue Devils and 11 for the Bombers. Bomber’s sophomore defender Jack Walker picked up a yellow card in the 37th minute of play and junior defender Landon Hellwig received one in the 40th minute.

Throughout the first half, both teams continued to fight with the score remaining a tie of 0–0. 

The second half started with the Bombers on a roll, keeping the ball on the Fredonia side of the field throughout the first five minutes of the half. The team found themselves with a really good opportunity drawing a penalty shot in the 49th minute of play. Senior midfielder Reefe Harrison took the shot and although it looked promising, Blue Devils junior goalkeeper Tanner Stutzman was able to make the save. The Bombers had four corner kicks within the first eight minutes of the half but were not able to capitalize on any.

Both teams continued to push the ball up the opponent’s side of the field but each couldn’t capitalize, with each shot being saved throughout the 68th minute of play. Sophomore midfielder Drew Warren had a great shot in the 66th minute, but it was saved by the opposing Stutzman.

Fouls continued to remain a problem for the Bombers who picked up their 19th foul by the 74th minute. However, this did not discourage the Bombers’ first-year student midfielder Jack Nelson from getting two close consecutive shots off. One shot was put in the top left corner but was unfortunately saved and the other one just slightly missed the net.

The remainder of the game followed a similar pattern with both teams not being able to capitalize on their opportunities.

Graduate student defender Brendan Lebitsch said the team will improve as the younger guys get used to seeing the field more.

“We got a lot of young guys,” Lebitsch said. “We are running eleven young guys this year and we have ten sophomores that were [first-year students] last year. A lot of new guys are getting into new positions and playing pivotal roles. We’re also missing key players like Gustav [Bauerle] and [Connor] Tierney who should be back in a few weeks. Just kind of sorting it out. A lot of jitters, I guess you could say, with the young guys. … I think that it’s just going to take a few games to get used to.”

The Bombers will play their next game against Wilkes University at 2 p.m. Sept. 4 at Carp Wood Field.