$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Figure of Soul: Happiness is not good for the economy

Molly Teska

“Find what makes you happy, this self-discovery course will definitely help with that! Read this New York Times best-selling book on productivity, it’s a game-changer! Never give up on your dreams — apply for this college, get interviewed by that great company and get rich! If others can do it, you can, too! Remember kids, something better is always around the corner.” 

There is a concept that involves a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. It is quite similar to the nature vs. nurture problem where we talk about whether genes or experiences dominate the other and define our lives. So, my question is: Is this how our brain, ‘nature,’ works — always striving for upgrades because we are designed to be insecure about how we authentically are? If yes, is it really a good thing that we are wired or evolved this way? Or is it caused by society, often referred to as ‘nurture’, through its political systems that are usually constructed for economic growth? 

Our basic survival instinct to secure food, safety and shelter has been fundamental to developing amazing advancements in human civilization. In other words, when we accomplish or improve ourselves, our brain rewards us with dopamine, motivating us to seek more rewards.

This rewarding system was relatively healthy, in my opinion, until the balance between reality and the positive outcomes we wished for was lost. I can only assume that our natural drive for progress has been significantly shaped by society for the sake of economic growth. This concept was explained by author Matt Haig in this quote: “Happiness is not good for the economy. We are encouraged, continually, to be a little bit dissatisfied with ourselves. …To be calm becomes a kind of revolutionary act. To be happy with your own non-upgraded existence. To be comfortable with our messy, human selves would not be good for business.” 

From this, we can see that our constant need to improve is influenced by both our natural tendencies and by society. Now, you may ask, “What should we do then? It’s not something that we can change instantly.” And, I agree with you. As we continue to evolve, finding a healthier equilibrium between embracing our innate drive for progress and recognizing when it is being manipulated by external forces could be one step. It can be manifested into reality as appreciating the feeling of fulfillment and relishing the present, even for a second. 

Whether it is the nature vs. nurture problem or the growth mindset vs. the fixed mindset concept, they add colors to our lives by interacting dynamically and shaping us in the most unique, beautiful and infinite shapes.