$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Editorial: Transfer pathway program is essential to making the college more financially accessible

Illustration by Ananya Gambhiraopet

Ithaca College is partnering with the Commision on Independent Colleges and Universities in New York (CICU) to create transfer pathways for students who want to transfer to the college  after two years at a community college. This is a necessary step to promote equitable access to higher education and create a smoother transition for transfer students.

For many, the cost of four years of college is inaccessible. This is especially true at private schools. As of 2023, full-time students at a private college pay an average of $55,840 per year, as compared to $26,027 at a public university. At Ithaca College, the cost of attendance for the 2023–24  academic year is $71,781. This cost is astronomically high, and for the vast majority of people, out of reach.

By partnering with CICU to create transfer pathways, the college is helping make academia more financially accessible. The average cost of community college is $3,970 per year. Creating more transfer programs will allow people to attend community college for a more affordable price, and then transfer to finish their four-year degree.

As of Fall 2022, transfers in the U.S. from a two-year college to a four-year college declined by 7.5% from the previous school year. This equates to nearly 37,600 students. Some reasons behind this decline are that four-year colleges do not always accept credits from community colleges and there is a lack of transparency and support regarding the transfer process. In creating defined transfer pathways, the college can address these concerns and help make the transfer process easier for students.

Transfer students are an invaluable part of the college community, and they should be treated as such. It is essential that the college not only creates streamlined transfer programs, but also helps ensure a smooth transition for transfer students. Acclimating to a new physical and academic landscape can be challenging, and it is up to the college to provide sufficient support and resources to ensure students’ success and wellbeing.