$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

IC hires staff and administrators in new and existing positions for Spring 2024

Ithaca+College+is+welcoming+seven+new+members+of+faculty+and+administration+in+Spring+2024%2C+including+members+in+roles+that+were+recently+created+at+the+college.+
File Photo/The Ithacan
Ithaca College is welcoming seven new members of faculty and administration in Spring 2024, including members in roles that were recently created at the college.

Paula Younger

Paula Younger, who was a lecturer and executive-in-residence at the Jeb E. Brooks School of Public Policy at Cornell University, will be rejoining Ithaca College as the executive director of government, community and constituent relations. This is a newly formed position at the college that aims to create collaborative relationships between the college and local, state and national entities.

An email sent to the campus community by the Office of the President said Younger’s experience will be valuable to the college.

“During her nearly three-decade career, she has worked extensively with federal and state agencies, local governments, community-based organizations, and higher education and research entities,” the email stated.

Younger specializes in organization capacity building and previously worked at the college as the executive director for government and community relations from 2018 to 2020. From 2006 to 2018, Younger was the deputy county administrator for Tompkins County. 

Omar Stoute

Omar Stoute 18 joined the college Jan. 16 as director of Staff Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging. This position is under the Center for Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging, which was established in July 2023.

Stoute previously worked at the college as a project coordinator for the Honors Program and the Center for Civic Engagement, and also as Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Before joining the college in his new position, Stoute was the Equity and Title IX Investigator at Cornell University.

Kirra Franzese, associate vice president and chief Human Resources officer, said in an Intercom post that Stoute will contribute to creating an inclusive and equitable campus environment.

“Grounded in the principles of cultural humility, Omar is poised to contribute to the development of an inclusive, equitable, and respectful community at Ithaca College,” Franzese said via an Intercom post. “He is a passionate advocate for equity, a catalyst for social change, and is committed to leveraging his skills and experiences to foster equity throughout the Ithaca College community.”

Rakin “Rock” Hall

Rakin “Rock” Hall will be joining the college as the vice president of enrollment management Feb. 1. In his role, Hall will be overseeing undergraduate and graduate admissions, Student Financial Services, Constituent Engagement Strategy, the Center for Career Exploration and Development and Center for Student Success and Retention.

Hall is currently the vice president for enrollment management at Arcadia University. He has also previously worked at the University of Utah, the University of Southern California, William Paterson University and Humboldt State University.

In an IC News post, Hall said student retention is crucial to help the college function and move toward its strategic “Ithaca Forever” mission.

“Recruiting and retaining student talent is vital to cultivating an astute campus community of first-year, transfer, graduate, and online populations,” Hall said in the IC News post. “Higher education is in flux, and strategic, mindful leadership is needed to build relationships with campus stakeholders, community-based organizations, and senior leadership.”

Austin Reid

Austin Reid joined the college Jan. 2 as the interim director for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life. Reid previously worked with Hillel at Ithaca College from 2018 to 2020 as a Springboard fellow. 

Reid will be taking over from Yasin Ahmed, former director for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, whose resignation was announced to the campus community in October 2023.

In his role, Reid will be collaborating with the college’s offices and organizations for Muller Chapel’s programming. He aims to provide students support during the ongoing conflict between Israel and Gaza. Reid also hopes to launch a religious and spiritual life-based Residential Learning Community (RLC) in Spring 2024.

Bonnie Prunty, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Life, said in an Intercom post that Reid will be facilitating open conversations among the campus community.

“He will provide leadership and work with IC affiliates and partner organizations to build avenues for open dialogue, joint initiatives, and programming to facilitate a community rooted in understanding and tolerance that transcends religious differences,” Prunty said. 

Alessandra Healy

Alessandra Healy joined the college as a program counselor for New York State Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP). HEOP and CSTEP are overseen by the Office of Access, Opportunity and Achievement, which offers academic and professional support to program scholars. 

Beth O’Neill

Beth O’Neill, former assistant director of Staff and Programs, Residential Life and Student Conduct and Community Standards, was named the new associate director of the Office of Residential life. O’Neill will be taking over Ron Trunzo’s role, who served as the former associate director and departed the college in November 2023.

O’Neill has been at the college since 2007 and as associate director, she will be collaborating with the director of the Office of Residential Life to strategically lead the department. 

Dan Rogers

Dan Rogers 20 was named the associate director of student involvement in the Office of Student Engagement. Rogers was previously the administrative assistant for OSE. 

As associate director, Rogers will be in charge of advising the college’s Students Governance Council; collaborating with student organizations and clubs for events and assisting them in the re-recognition process; and managing the Student Activities Center. 

In memoriam: Bill Bergmark

Bill Bergmark, professor in the Department of Chemistry, died Dec. 24, 2023. The campus community was informed of his death Jan. 3 in an Intercom post by Mike Haff, professor in the Department of Chemistry.

“Bill was a professor in the chemistry department at IC for 30 years and to his students, his colleagues, and to the scientific community at large, he was one of the all-time greats,” Haff said in the Intercom post. “He will be missed.”

Bergmark’s obituary asks those who wish to send memorial gifts, to consider donating to the Ithaca College Bill and Donna Bergmark Scholarship Award. The scholarship is awarded to chemistry and biochemistry majors at the college for academic excellence.