$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Executive director of Hillel at IC announces departure from college

Lucia Iandolo
Lauren Goldberg, executive director of Hillel at IC, announced her departure from Ithaca College. Goldberg served as the executive director of Hillel for seven years and actively engaged with the campus community by organizing events like speaker series, shows by stand-up comedians and weekly Shabbat for students. 

In an email sent by Hillel at Ithaca College Feb. 15, Lauren Goldberg, executive director of Hillel at IC, announced her departure from Ithaca College. Goldberg said to The Ithacan her last day won’t be until July.

“Basically, I’m not going anywhere in the immediate future,” Goldberg said. “And afterwards, I’m going to actually remain very involved with our Hillel just in a different kind of realm.”

Goldberg served as the executive director of Hillel for seven years and actively engaged with the campus community by organizing events like speaker series, shows by stand-up comedians and weekly Shabbat for students. 

The most recent programming Goldberg was involved in was “Side-by-Side,” an annual event that facilitates reflective dialogue on Israeli-Palestinian history and context.

In the email, Goldberg said she is stepping down to spend more time with her family. Goldberg said that even though she is stepping down, she will be actively engaging with the college’s Jewish community at Shabbats and holidays. 

Goldberg said to The Ithacan that even though she is departing, she will always cherish her time at the college.

“When I hit send on the email [it] suddenly became very real,” Goldberg said. “This place is very special. … I just look forward to being able to take a step into my nuclear family life rather than my student family life. Both are so central to me.”

Sophomore Hank Jennings said via text that even though Goldberg will not be working at the college anymore, he is looking forward to her being engaged with the campus community

“Yeah I just saw [the email].” Jennings said. “I think Lauren’s departure as Executive Director will definitely be a loss for IC Hillel. Lauren was always very friendly and welcoming and I’m glad she’ll still be a part of Hillel as she mentioned in the email.”

The email said Hillel at IC is now looking to hire a new executive director. The job description outlines expectations, which include engaging the over 1,000 Jewish students through on-campus programming, managing finances and serving as the primary spokesperson for the organization to external stakeholders and the media. Applications are being accepted until March 1.

To transition smoothly, Goldberg said in the email that she is working with the board of directors. 

Sophomore Ari Klawans said via email they value Goldberg’s relationship and will cherish their time together.

“Lauren is such an amazing person and it’s been awesome to have her as the Hillel director here,” Klawans said. “I know a lot of people in the IC community, myself included, feel incredibly loved and supported by Lauren.”

Goldberg said the ideal candidate replacing her should be authentic, genuine and capable of providing the support Hillel’s community on campus needs.

“I think that at any director or any leader in any position brings their own magic to the work,” Goldberg said. “I think that no matter what their qualities that they bring, they will be able to channel what this place needs.”

Assistant News Editors Ryan Johnson and Vivian Rose contributed reporting