$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Conan Gray transitions to glam rock in ‘Found Heaven’

Courtesy of Republic Records
On April 5, American indie pop singer/songwriter Conan Gray released his third studio album, “Found Heaven.”
4.0 out of 5.0 stars

On April 5, American indie pop singer/songwriter Conan Gray released his third studio album, “Found Heaven.” He amassed a large fan base after the release of his extended play, “Sunset Season,” in 2018, featuring the iconic songs “Crush Culture” and “Generation Why.” In his new album, “Found Heaven,” Gray keeps his emotional tone, but sings over a new sound inspired by the pop music of the 80s instead of his usual guitar centered songs. 

Gray’s two previous albums, “Superache” (2022) and “Kid Krow” (2020), embraced his bleeding heart with alternative indie songs like “The Story” and “People Watching.” “Found Heaven” featured more of an 80s pop feel with synth heavy songs like “Lonely Dancers.” The album is a change from his previous works with 10 of the 13 tracks inspired by the 80s synth-pop sound rather than keeping with the sad boy indie pop ballads he began with. 

However, some songs on “Found Heaven” reflect his previous discography like “Alley Rose” and “Forever With Me.” These two songs are heart wrenching indie power ballads, full of strong instrumentals and intelligent lyrics. While some listeners may not favor Gray’s transition to glam rock, the album is amazing with diverse instrumentals and multiple fun tracks. “Found Heaven” is an album that allowed Gray to transition into the music he wants to make, and it’s a good start.

The album opens with the titular track, “Found Heaven.” The song opens with a choir saying “No god above us / Can we repent this sin? / No soul is innocent / Everybody wants to love.” Over an energetic beat, a somber Gray writes as an inner voice telling the listener in the chorus “Don’t be scared, little child of that feeling / You’re in love / You found heaven.” In an interview with New Music Express, Gray said the song is asking “If there was no God above us, if there was no one watching; how would you live your life?” 

Conan is talking to himself saying that you should live your life to the fullest and not be scared of the powers above judging your every move. He wants to live a carefree life and do what will make him happy even if his parents, fans or God judge him; he doesn’t care because he is living life for himself and thinks everyone else should do the same. The choral opening that transitions into rock makes a lasting impact on the listener. 

“Fainted Love” is another 80s inspired track, but this time the pacing is more similar to his older indie rock sound. In the song, Gray describes a one-sided relationship, stating in the chorus, “When your heart aches and it’s dead in the night / Don’t you worry for me, it’s cool / It’s enough to survive / Don’t you worry, I want your fainted love / That’s enough.” Gray knows his partner isn’t an ideal one, but he will do anything for them, even if they only reciprocate with “fainted” or weak love. The song, like many others on the album, is Gray expressing that something is better than nothing, and he would rather settle for less than be lonely wishing for more. 

The backing of the song is energetic with synths and drums, but the lyrics themselves are melancholic, similar to 80s pop songs like pop duo Soft Cell’s 1981 hit “Tainted Love.” “Fainted Love” is a captivating song that opens Gray’s heart up to the listener while also giving them a beat that they can dance to.

“Found Heaven” is an all around cohesive, bold album. The 80s influence is a refreshing sound in the modern pop genre and in Conan Gray’s discography. It’s interesting to see artists taking control of their art and releasing the songs they like rather than what the audience prefers. The tracks on the album are all different in their own way with some embracing his older influences and others embodying his new sound. 

This album transcends generational musical preferences with both Generation Z and Generation X listeners falling in love with it. Taking a chance on “Found Heaven,” any listener can find a number of new favorites from the album whether they are a part of the comfort crowd or not.