$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

NYSP charges off-duty Cornell officer with DWI after hitting IC student

Noa Ran-Ressler
The crash occurred on the 1500 block of Slaterville Road, also called NY Route 79.

An Ithaca College student was struck by a vehicle driven by 30-year-old Blake A. Curtis, a Cornell University police officer, around 1:30 a.m. May 4. The student was identified as 19-year-old Max Ross who is in stable condition at Robert Packer Hospital, according to a New York State Police press release.  

Curtis has been charged with driving while intoxicated and vehicular assault, a Class E felony, according to WSYR-TV. An ongoing investigation by the New York State Police revealed the student was walking near the 1500 block of Slaterville Road when he was hit by the vehicle that was traveling eastbound. According to the press release, Curtis immediately called 911 and the student was airlifted to the hospital

Curtis was not on administrative duty at the time of the accident, according to Lindsey Knewstub, deputy director at Cornell’s media relations office. 

Dave Maley, director of public relations at Ithaca College, and Thomas Dunn, director and deputy chief of public safety and emergency management, could not give further information about the incident.

“Ithaca College is providing support to the student and his family during this difficult time for them,” Maley said via email.