$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Monday, Sept. 30

Top news of the day
The stories you should check out

1. Did you know every five minutes someone’s kidneys fail, and every 10 minutes a person is added to the kidney transplant waiting list? Sponsored by the Northeast Kidney Foundation, the 4th annual Walk for Kidneys took place at 9 a.m. on Saturday at Cass Park.

2. Last week, YouTube founder Chad Hurley visited Ithaca College as part of Park Distinguished Visitor Series. Contributing writer Noah Orent and other members of the campus student media spoke with Hurley about his experience at YouTube and his new role as founder of technology company AVOS Systems. Read the Q&A here.

3. Feminists United, the Women’s Studies program, Spectrum, Active Minds, PODER, Created Equal, and Sister 2 Sister are sponsoring a week of “Who Needs Feminism,” an interactive event where students and faculty can share their definition of feminism and why they need it. The event is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. all week in the Academic Quad.

What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss

1. Habitat for Humanity’s “Sleepout for Homelessness” will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Academic Quad. The event aims to raise awareness about the realities of homelessness. The event will feature a presentation by Carmen Guidi, the philanthropist who found homes for the homeless men living in the Ithaca Jungle.

2. Comedian Tracey Ashley will perform at 7 p.m. in IC Square. Ashley, who was a 2007 semi-finalist in NBC’s “The Last Comic Standing,” is currently touring colleges and comedy clubs in the northeast.

3. The Society of Professional Journalists will hold a workshop on Google Fusion, a computerized tool to convert data and raw numbers into understandable, easy-to-read graphs and tables. The workshop is at 7 p.m. in Park 223.

Month in Review
Most popular read

1. The most popular read in The Ithacan for the month of September is the story: “Ithaca is Smart.” In June, Ithaca was named the “Smartest City in the United States,” by Lumosity.com. Read how Ithaca won this title and what makes the city so smart.

2. The second most popular read of the month is the story: “College to investigate A&E Center problems.” Recurring leaks and visible cracks in the floor have prompted college officials and construction representatives to meet and discuss the problems.

3. The month’s third most popular read is the story: “German kicker’s strong foot adds yardage to football squad.” Sophomore kicker, Max “Das Booot” Rottenecker has amazed his teammates with his ability to easily hit long field goals.

$1520
$2000