$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Volleyball soars over Elmira Eagles to improve record start

Jillian Flint/The Ithacan
Freshman outside hitter Kyle Dandrea bumps the ball during the team’s win Sept. 11 in Ben Light Gymnasium.

The volleyball team continued its winning ways, defeating the Elmira College Soaring Eagles 3–1 Sept. 15 to improve to an overall record of 8–1 on the season.

Despite having a slow start to the match, the Bombers were able to triumph over their Empire 8 division foes by scores of 20–25, 25–23, 25–20 and 25–15.

The Blue and Gold were able to fend off a tough Elmira team through a stingy defense that recorded 10 blocks in the match, balancing out what was an off-night for the offensive side of the team, which posted a .187 hit percentage and committed 26 errors.

Sophomore Joelle Goldstein, who was a 2014 All-Empire Selection, posted 14 kills and hit a .429 kill percentage for the night, while adding three blocks for the squad. Fellow sophomore Kayla Gromen recorded a match-high 42 assists and seven digs. Senior captain Dylan Gawinski-Stern was a forceful presence for the South Hill squad and contributed 20 digs for the Bombers defensively.

After losing the first set, the Bombers came out with more intensity and decisiveness, slamming the ball home to start the second set off. When the Bombers became rattled midway through the second set, head coach Janet Donovan called a timeout to settle any nerves.

The slight break worked in their advantage as well, cruising back from a 17–9 deficit to tie the game at 22–22.  The Bombers captured the momentum-shifting second set victory and it was all cruise control from that point on for the squad.

The Blue and Gold picked up their offense and continued to outwit Elmira’s defense in both the third and fourth sets, despite a scare in the third set when Elmira gained ground on the Bombers. Blocks by freshman Katie Evans and junior Breanne Tuohy, who both racked up four critical blocks, were key in the Bombers’ win.

The team’s 51 kills and 65 digs outweighed the Soaring Eagles’ 37 kills and 53 digs.

The Bombers will return to action Sept. 18, where they will travel to take on St. Joseph’s-Long Island in the Ramapo Invitational in Mahwah, New Jersey.

$1520
$2000