$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

‘Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming’: Electronic singer produces dreamy sound

For French electro mastermind Anthony Gonzalez, music has always been about how intense it can get, not how loud. Under the moniker M83, Gonzalez has produced a series of lavish and expansive electronic tracks within five albums, and on his sixth release, “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming,” he reaches the pinnacle of his lengthy career.

The name alone is an immediate indicator of what Gonzalez achieves with this double disc LP. On the album, Gonzalez looks to drag listeners out of the meaningless repetition of the day-to-day to reach for something more.

The saxophone solo, a rarity in modern music,  still has a place in Gonzalez’ work. On the lead single, “Midnight City,” he lays down waves of synthesizer lines that slingshot the song forward. Toward the end, a magnificent saxophone takes over and kicks in the afterburners.

On previous albums, Gonzalez relied heavily on guest vocals for his music. One of the most featured artists was vocalist Morgan Kibby, who lent her talents to M83’s last album, “Saturdays = Youth.” This new release represents a departure from that practice as Gonzalez howls and wails over his beautiful tapestry of sounds.

The album reaches epic new heights with glorious track “Steve McQueen.” Crashing cymbals, cascading synthesizers, thundering drums and Gonzalez’s vocals meld together to create an absolutely dazzling auditory experience worthy of a laser show.

“Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming” is more than a musical composition, it’s an idea — the idea of breaking away and living life.

$1495
$2000