$1275
$2000

‘Immortals’: Combat strengthens film

The earth shakes and rivers of blood run through ancient Greece as gods and men fight in Tarsem Singh’s “Immortals.” Despite a tired story, Singh’s offbeat visual style reigns supreme.

Driven by revenge, human king Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) declares war against both the mortal and divine worlds on a quest to release the immortal enemies of the gods, the Titans. Though the gods are all-powerful, their leader, Zeus (Luke Evans), forbids them to interfere in human affairs unless the Titans are unleashed. The meak peasant Theseus (Henry Cavill) stands as humanity’s best chance.

The film is enthralling with its dream-like surreal imagery. The polished and cubic architecture also enhance the ancient setting.

“Immortals” takes artistic liberties with ancient Greek mythology. The story is typical of most action-packed Greek sword-and-shield epics. Though the plot is unoriginal, a few fights are spectacular. Heads explode in bloody, slow-motion bursts. The battle between the gods and the Titans overshadows the humans’ duel with faster Kung Fu pace and bloody carnage.

The 3-D element, highlighted in previews, is remarkably absent. Since the visual fascination deals mostly with sets and costumes, not flying objects whizzing by, the 3-D feels misused.

“Immortals” may be worth watching for its visual style, but its dull story outweighs any exciting eye candy.

“Immortals” was directed by Tarsem Singh and written by Charley and Vlas Parlapanides.

2 out of 4 stars

$1275
$2000