$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

‘Last Song’ offers overplayed story

“The Last Song” has a story just as recycled as Miley Cryus’ rebel-without-a-cause persona.

Another movie based on a Nicholas Sparks novel, “The Last Song” attempts to fuse two stories of love and loss, but neither is inspiring.

“The Last Song” opens with Veronica “Ronnie” (Cyrus) and Jonah (Bobby Coleman) arriving at their father Steve’s (Greg Kinnear) house. The first story centers on Ronnie falling in love with Will (Liam Hemsworth). The second story makes a 180 in tone from the first act to a depressing second, as the father reveals he has terminal cancer.

The film not only paints the father’s slow death in an overly sad and inevitable manner, but it seems too plausible, too relatable and too familiar. There is no particular twist about this father’s bout with cancer to make it interesting.

The acting and writing are hollow. Cyrus is not making a stretch here by acting as a teenager with issues, and her performance does not stand out. Kinnear is adequate as the friendly father trying to bridge the gap with his daughter, but like the rest of the cast, he only plays an archetype for another modern-day high-school drama set in a summer vacation spot.

“The Last Song” tries to play an inspirational tune but ends up singing the same old song.

“The Last Song” was written by Nicholas Sparks and Jeff Van Wie and directed by Julie Ann Robinson.

$1495
$2000