$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Review: Divine Fits debut album shakes up indie rock

Canadian singer/songwriter Dan Boeckner can’t sit still. After his former projects, Wolf Parade and Handsome Furs came to an end, he kicked off a new foray with fellow workaholic and indie rock band Spoon’s frontman Britt Daniel. The two picked up Sam Brown of punk rock band, New Bomb Turks, and the result is an alluring new group called Divine Fits.

On their debut album, “A Thing Called Divine Fits,” Boeckner and Daniel stick to their previous bands’ respective styles. The new group melds together to create almost a bi-tonal album in which some songs recall Wolf Parade and others sample Spoon. Instead of crafting a disjointed LP, the group has created one with a distinctive flow.

The Wolf Parade-influenced cuts, such as the lead track, “My Love is Real,” feature Boeckner’s wavering vocals over steady synthesizer lines and a solid drum machine. These songs prove to be the most moody throughout the album. Boeckner sings, “My love is real until it stops.”

Meanwhile, the tracks that sport vocals courtesy of Daniel ooze a kind of gritty swagger. Album standout “Would That Not Be Nice” consists of distorted vocals, maracas, aggressive guitar strumming and a groovy bass line. Daniel’s lyrics pack a punch, cutting through the track with some serious attitude.

“A Thing Called Divine Fits” is an indie rock aficionado’s dream come true: two well-respected and acclaimed groups emerging from the shells of their separate projects to give birth to refreshing new music.

Overall rating: 4 stars

The combination of rock bands Wolf Parade and New Bomb Turks resulted in a new indie rock band called Divine Fits. Their debut album is shaking up the indie scene with their new sound and technique.

$1495
$2000