$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Review: How to Destroy Angels adds electronic sound with ‘An Omen EP’

Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor’s overachiever tendencies have thankfully kicked in once again. This time, his How to Destroy Angels side project with his wife, Mariqueen Maandig, has released a new EP to give listeners the electro-industrial fix they’ve been craving.

After scoring soundtracks for both “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” Reznor and producer Atticus Ross have returned to their non-commissioned music-making with their wicked new compilation, “An Omen EP.”

The leadoff cut “Keep it Together” oozes to life as a bubbling electronic nocturne. A spasmodic drum machine emits an eclectic mix of snare drum and cymbal accents that spice up the track. Maandig’s icy vocals slip through the instrumentals to create a sense of brevity and exactness.

“An Omen EP” also witnesses more vocal involvement on Reznor’s part. With the group’s previous release, Maandig commanded the mic with little assistance from her husband. But on this EP, Reznor throws in some male vocals to complement the femininity.

Compared to its rock-tinged debut, How to Destroy Angels has opted for a more electronic-influenced production with this new EP. This altered frame of mind transitions favorably and shakes up the band’s catalog. If this is any indication of the direction their 2013 full length is heading, they are in good shape.

Overall rating: 3 stars

$1375
$2000