$1275
$2000

Review: Phillip Phillips releases splendid debut album ‘The World from the Side of the Moon’

Star and winner of “American Idol” Phillip Phillips debuted his single “Home” at the closing ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics and has since topped the charts. With his raspy vocals and acoustic abilities, this artist has produced raw, riveting tunes.

Phillips introduces himself and his whole new world of music with, “The World from the Side of the Moon.” The album showcases his distinctly soulful voice as well as his talents as a writer and instrumentalist.

The track “Drive Me” exhibits his ability to mix his guitar genius with his hoarse voice. With the lyrics “Do what you do, and do what you will,” the song is an anthem for the artist, as he’s doing exactly as he preaches and making his mark on the music industry by penning his own lyrics and strumming his own guitar.

Other tracks include “Man on the Moon” and “So Easy.” In “Man on the Moon,” his acoustic abilities drive the track, and his vocals speed it up, amping up the rock sound of the album. The track makes it easy for listeners to groove along and keep up with every beat.

“Man on the Moon” holds the catchiest lyrics of the whole album with the line, “Even a man on the moon couldn’t tell me where to land.” The line sums up the theme of the album about not knowing what life holds in the future but hoping for the best. The inspirational song instills a sense of motivation in the listener.

In “So Easy,” his voice blends smoothly with his guitar. Within the catchy chorus he sings, “You’re the reason I believe in something I don’t know.” Creating a sultry soulful vibe, his voice and his guitar blend perfectly to create a touching tune.

Phillip Phillips soars with his debut album and demonstrates that with pure talent alone one can really create a debut masterpiece.

Overall rating: Four stars

$1275
$2000