$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Review: Smash Mouth brings back the ‘Magic’ with new album

With hits such as “All Star,” “Walkin’ on the Sun” and a cover of The Monkees’ “I’m a Believer,” featured in “Shrek,” Smash Mouth has produced songs that will be forever ingrained into the minds of the ’90s generation. Despite their past notoriety, and two multi-platinum albums, in recent years the pop rock band has faded from the spotlight. But now Smash Mouth is back with their sixth album, titled “Magic,” and they prove that they can still delight audiences with catchy and pleasing tunes.

The album, filled mostly with songs reminiscent of the band’s earlier work, is a crowd-pleaser and averages out to be a solid record overall. Notable tracks include “Perfect Plant,” “The Game” and “Live to Love Another Day,” which all carry the same catchy, surf rock sound present in many of the band’s earlier songs. “Out of Love” will stick in listeners’ minds as a track that doesn’t go along with Smash Mouth’s normal sound, and is instead more of an acoustic ballad, showing the band can be successful outside of their normal musical style.

Like in other albums, “Magic” also includes a cover song. The band recorded a more-upbeat version of “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds that, though not their best cover, does the original justice.

Overall, only a couple of tracks disappoint on this album, most specifically the song “Justin Bieber,” which is campy without the redeeming quality of catchiness. However, none serve as a deterrent to enjoying the record as a whole.

For those who are not fans of the beach party rock music style, this album may be a letdown. However, for listeners who are already fans of Smash Mouth, “Magic” will certainly delight. With few misses and enough exemplary tracks to be an overall success, Smash Mouth’s latest album certainly can compete with their older albums.

Overall Rating: 3 stars

Smash Mouth is back with their sixth studio album titled “Magic.”

$1375
$2000