$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

‘Seeking Major Tom’: Shatner shines in space-themed comedy

Former Star Trek hero William Shatner speak-talks through popular rock songs on his new space-themed comedy collection.

“Seeking Major Tom” features Shatner’s voice rhythmically imposed over a track list from a range of classic artists, from Peter Schilling to Elton John.

Overall, the album strikes an amusing chord that inspires hilarity. Shatner’s straightforward exclamation of lines from classic songs, like Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody,” sounds out of place and outright ridiculous. This lack of clear melody paired with the repetition of well-known lyrics gives the once passion-infused track a melodramatic tone and ironic humor.

Though most of the songs are designed to make people laugh, the album also has moments of serious emotion. On Shatner’s cover of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity,” acoustic chords set a somber tone for Shatner’s narrative about astronauts stranded in space. His slow speech recreates the quiet despair of someone lost in the unknown.

Though it’s not necessarily brimming with artistic merit, Shatner’s new collection is a welcome journey through classic tunes.

$1375
$2000