$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

A sad time for PA state schools

I went home to Scranton for a few days this week where the number one issue everyone was talking about was Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposal to cut spending to state schools (well, OK, Parade Day was the hot topic but this was a very close second).

But seriously, this is turning into a real problem. In case you’ve been living under a rock, here’s a recap of what’s going down in the Keystone state.

I was actually having a discussion with one of my best friends from high school the other day about these cuts. My friend is a single mother who currently attends Penn State Worthington, one of the university’s satellite campuses in Dunmore, the next town over from Scranton. If the cuts go through, Worthington will be one of the campuses eliminated because Penn State main is going to need to make cuts elsewhere before hiking tuition. The other colleges in Scranton — the University of Scranton, Marywood University and Lackawanna College — are all private colleges that are too expensive. So my friend is going to be without a college — without a college degree and a baby to support.

Corbett has called his proposal a “a reality-based budget.” But seriously, what the hell kind of reality is it we’re cutting from our education system?

And also, what the hell is wrong with us, Pennsylvania, that after so many years of going Democratic, we vote for this guy who doesn’t even seem to know what we stand for?

$1495
$2000