$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

Ways to Take Action This International Women’s Day

Happy #IWD2016!

Not sure what International Women’s Day is and want to learn what it is and why it matters? Check out my previous blog post here!

Essentially, IWD is an opportunity and a day to acknowledge that the fight for gender equality is far from over—especially considering the pay gap, gender-based violence, objectification of women in the media, and so on.

An important aspect of IWD is that is provides a chance to not only learn about the issues but also take tangible action and create change.

Here are some thing you can do:

• Get Involved Online

The internet can be a powerful place to have productive conversations about social issues, share article, get educated, and connect with others who care about the same causes. Use hashtags, write blogs (they’re great,) post videos, and use social media to amplify you’re voice for change.

If you’re a student at Ithaca College, click here for all the events happening on campus and online!

You can also #pledgeforparity here! And be sure to use the hashtags #IWDatIC and #IWD2016 on all your social media platforms today! Spread the word and be part of critical conversations on issues facing women around the world.

You can also use the internet as a tool to learn about these issues and develop a greater understanding of what feminism is and why it matters. I suggest you check out media outlets like Everyday Feminism, feminist columns on The Nation, and the Women’s Media Center—just to name a few.

You can’t make a change if you don’t know the issues! Start learning!

• Get in on Our Social Media Contest!

Here are the rules:

1. Post a picture(s) of yourself or someone/something that inspires you to fight for gender equality all day today!
  2. Add a caption telling us why IWD is important to you
  3. Use the hashtags #IWD2016 #IWDatIC #PledgeForParity

There’s a prize involved!

• Make Individual Changes in Your Own Life

On a personal level, take the time to celebrate and support the women in your life. If you don’t identify as a woman, recognize the privilege this gives us and leverage it to help others. Take action to learn about issues of gender inequity and get involved in causes to dismantle this.

Remember that larger, collective social change starts with individual action and smaller steps.

• Get involved in an activist project or cause.

Use what you have learned about these issues to get involved in some tangible activism. Volunteer or donate to a local women’s rights or social justice organization. Attend a rally, a protest, or speak with a local representative about legislation that impacts women’s rights.

If you’re on a college campus, you can get involved in or create feminist club or organize an event.

• Keep it Intersectional

I talk a lot about intersectionality in a recent post I wrote on an International Women’s Day rally I attended in Berlin. So check that out here.

Essentially, intersectionality is recognizing that various aspects of identity like race, class, gender, sexuality and ability intersect and inform how privileged or disadvantaged one is.

Intersectional feminism recognizes that marginalized women have an even more difficult time navigating patriarchy and sexism.

Remember this when participating in activism and learning about the issues.

• Recognize that the fight continues even after the day is over

Yes, today is International Women’s Day but that doesn’t mean that the issues should be forgotten after this day is over.

$1260
$2000