•  

September 23, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Life & Culture

Ithaca Area Restaurants Host 17th Annual Chili Festival

This vegetarian chili from Kilpatrick’s was just one of many meatless options to be tasted. At the end of the cook-off it was Smash Truck, a food truck, that won the title of Best Vegetarian Chili. From left, Alyssa Stoeckl, Cassandra Jenis and Stephanie Bailey hand out chili during the 17th Annual Downtown Chili Cook-off on Feb. 7. Tapas restaurant Just A Taste won for best meat chili. Visitors crowd Ithaca’s downtown area during the 17th Annual Downtown Chili Cook-off, hoping to taste the array of chilies available in the street-side booths. A day of events accompanied the 
tasting, with notable spectacles including a hot pepper–eating contest, a beard and mustache competition, live music and karaoke. In addition to chili, beer and snacks were available to attendees. Chili from Agava Restaurant is served to eager tasters. Although Agava’s recipe won the People’s Choice Award for best chili, the restaurant did not win any first-place awards in formal judging.
<
>
Visitors crowd Ithaca’s downtown area during the 17th Annual Downtown Chili Cook-off, hoping to taste the array of chilies available in the street-side booths. A day of events accompanied the tasting, with notable spectacles including a hot pepper–eating contest, a beard and mustache competition, live music and karaoke. In addition to chili, beer and snacks were available to attendees.