September 27, 2021
Ithaca, NY | 73°F

Life & Culture

Singles for the week 9/3

“Good Ones”

Charli XCX

Release date: 9/2

Record label: Asylum Records, Sony Music Publishing

Hyperpop princess Charli XCX is back with her new single “Good Ones.” The track moves away from Charli’s usual bubblegum sound with an emphasis on seductive vocals, a heavy beat and dark, hypnotic synths. The computergenerated instrumental elements combine exquisitely, emulating the techno sounds of the European nightclub scene

“I Still Have Faith In You”

ABBA

Release date: 9/2

Record label: Polar Music International AB

“Dancing Queen” fans unite! ABBA has announced an upcoming album and given fans a taste of its sound with “I Still Have Faith In You,” the group’s latest single. Though the track begins as a calm ode to a lover, it gradually builds to an energetic, orchestral anthem of passion.

“The 90s”

FINNEAS 

Release date: 9/2

Record label: OYOY, Interscope Records, Kobalt Music Publishing

Maybe FINNEAS isn’t Billie Eilish’s ghostwriter, because the lyrics in his latest track “The 90s” are cheesy and borderline obnoxious. It sounds like he puts more effort into producing his sister’s songs too, given the outofplace autotuned vocal riffs that conclude the track’s first chorus. 

“Fire In The Sky”

Anderson .Paak

Release date: 9/3

Record label: MARVEL/Hollywood Records, Inc./Interscope Records, Kobalt Music Publishing

Anderson .Paak marks his territory on the “Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings: The Album” soundtrack with “Fire In The Sky.” The track opens with a revamped take on elevator music with refined, dainty synths that usher in the artist’s emotive, rhythmic flow. The track is typical Anderson .Paak: soft-thump hip-hop meets modern, smooth soul.