$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs April 6

Ithaca+College+first-year+student+Clare+Jordan+runs+through+Clarkson+University+senior+Kelly+Boutin+as+Ithaca+first-year+student+Taylor+Piergrossi+waits+for+a+pass.+Ithaca+College+Women%E2%80%99s+Club+Rugby+placed+second+in+the+tournament+April+1.+
Nolan Saunders
Ithaca College first-year student Clare Jordan runs through Clarkson University senior Kelly Boutin as Ithaca first-year student Taylor Piergrossi waits for a pass. Ithaca College Women’s Club Rugby placed second in the tournament April 1.

TAES accepting learning and peer success coach requests

Tutoring and Academic Services at Ithaca College will be accepting requests from students for Learning Coaches and Peer Success Coaches until April 7. The TAES is a part of the Center for Student Success and Retention and allows students to connect with Peer Coaches who can help them with academics in general and for specific classes as well. The TAES asks that students submit their requests by April 7 because it will allow current Learning and Peer Success Coaches to conclude work with their current assignees. Students requiring support after April 7 have to email [email protected].

The BOLD scholarship open to applications for the class of 2025

The BOLD Women’s Leadership Scholarship is accepting applications for the Class of 2025 until 11:59 p.m. April 16. The BOLD Scholarship is awarded for a period of two years and is worth $27,500 per year. The BOLD Scholarship is a part of the BOLD Program, which is funded through the Helen Gurley Brown Foundation. Interested students can find the application on Intercom. While prospective scholars are recommended to attend an information session, they are not required to. While two of the three information sessions already took place from 12:10 to 1:05 p.m. March 30 in Friends 307 and from 5 to 6 p.m. April 3 in Friends 307, a virtual information session will be held from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 5 via Zoom. Students who were unable to attend any of the information sessions and wish to learn more can set up a time to talk with Samantha Elebiary, the BOLD program director. An application is considered complete when the application form has been submitted and the faculty or staff recommendation form has been completed, in addition to the PDF versions of the applicants’ unofficial transcript and resume emailed to [email protected]. The deadline for staff or faculty to submit recommendations is 11:59 p.m. April 23. Once students have completed the application, students will be invited to a group interview that will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. April 29. Once group interviews are over, 20 to 25 students will be invited to participate in individual interviews, which will be held online between May 14 and May 19. Selected students will receive an email regarding the same and will be able to schedule a time that works for them. Before the month of May ends, students will find out whether their application was successful or not. All questions must be directed through email to [email protected]

OSE and HR host special event for student employees at IC

The Office of Student Employment and Human Resources is hosting an event celebrating student employees from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 13 in Emerson Suites. Students can play games and win raffle prizes. Snacks will be served at the event. Student employee supervisors are also welcome to attend the event and were also encouraged to send messages expressing gratitude to student employees at [email protected] by April 3. These messages will be presented at the event. All questions, concerns and academic requests can be sent through email to [email protected].

Washington Post assignment editor talks data visualization

Reuben Fischer-Baum, assignment editor in The Washington Post’s graphic design team, will be giving a talk titled “How journalists create data visualization” from 1:15 to 2:15 p.m. April 14 in Emerson Suites. In the talk, Fischer-Baum will go over the different kinds of digital tools and software journalists can use to visualize data. Fischer-Baum pursued his undergraduate degree in Environmental Science from Yale University and taught data visualization at the Parsons School of Design in New York City. This talk is a part of the 2023 Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges for the Northeastern region being hosted by the Department of Computer Science at Ithaca College. Interested individuals requiring accommodations must contact Jill Ackerman, administrative assistant in the Department of Mathematics, at [email protected] or 607-274-3107.

IC Prevention Education Network organizes abortion presentation

Naiara Bezzera-Gastesi, campus educator at the Tompkins County Advocacy Center, will be presenting a talk about abortion from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. April 11 in Taughannock Falls Room. The presentation will specifically focus on the impacts of abortion bans in specific states in the United States, including New York, on sexual assault survivors and will also outline strategies individuals can use to support sexual assault survivors seeking an abortion. This presentation and discussion session is hosted by the Prevention Education Network, Ithaca College’s prevention education committee. All accommodation requests, questions, or concerns must be directed to [email protected].

Faculty leaders host sessions discussing shared governance

Melanie Stein, provost and senior vice president; Chrystyna Dail, associate professor in the Department of Theatre Studies; Dave Gondek, assistant professor in the Department of Biology; Lauren Steele, associate professor in the Department of Media Arts, Sciences, and Studies; General Counsel Emily Rockett, secretary to the Board of Trustees; and Claire Gleitman, dean of the School of Humanities and Sciences, invite faculty to a discussion session about shared governance. While one of the sessions took place from 10 to 11 a.m. April 7 in Clark Lounge, two upcoming sessions will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. April 11 in Taughannock Falls Room and from 12:10 to 1:05 p.m. April 13 in Clark Lounge. These sessions will specifically focus on drafting two documents that aim to present the structure and values of shared governance at Ithaca College in writing. Although there is no limit on attendance, faculty are requested to RSVP if they wish to attend one of the sessions.

Holocaust survivor to give a talk about personal experiences

Roald Hoffman, a Nobel Prize winner and Holocaust survivor, will be giving a personal talk from 7 to 8 p.m. April 25 in Muller Chapel. Hoffman will talk about growing up in eastern Poland in context of a war and his experience of being imprisoned in a labor camp. This talk is open to all members of the campus community and masks are highly encouraged. For accommodations, questions and concerns, individuals should contact Lauren Goldberg, executive director of Hillel at Ithaca College, at [email protected] or 240-401-2590.

$1495
$2000