$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

College Briefs March 23

Abby Li
From left, sophomores Zoe Williams, February Schneck and Riley Marie Fortin deliberate and confer over answers, hoping to win prizes while raising money for the JED Foundation during Ithaca College Hillel Trivia Night on March 21.

Ithaca College Web Team offers virtual office hours for support

The Ithaca College Web Team is offering office hours in the upcoming weeks of the semester. The first one will be offered from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 23 via Zoom. The next three sessions will be from 1–3 p.m. April 5, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 20 and 1–3 p.m. May 3. Offered office hours are meant to help the campus community with any questions regarding web management, content and development. To attend office hours, interested attendees must book an appointment at least 24 hours prior through the Microsoft Bookings Page. Attendees will receive a Zoom link for the online office hours session. All questions and concerns regarding alternate consultation timings can be directed to [email protected].

Park alum to facilitate ‘Why Media Matters’ workshop for all

Luke Harbur ’18, a strategic communication and entertainment professional, will be hosting a “Why Media Matters” workshop from 12–1 p.m. March 23 in Room 223 of the Roy H. Park School of Communications. In the workshop, Harbur will talk about his personal and professional experiences in the media industry. The workshop is open to all students, faculty and staff and does not require prior registration. During his time at Ithaca College, Harbur was involved with Ithacapella, the college’s all-male-identifying a capella group, The Ithacan and IC Beatbox, a self-started, vocal and performance-based initiative. All accommodation requests must be made by email to [email protected] or via phone at 607-274-3637.

Survey seeks feedback to better meet faculty needs in classes

The Center for Faculty Excellence and Center for Student Success and Retention are collecting responses for a survey assessing needs of faculty until March 24. The survey is based on concerns that faculty put forward in listening sessions with Melanie Stein, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs. The survey specifically aims to understand faculty’s observations in their post-COVID-19 classrooms. Faculty discussion sessions about student involvement and engagement will also take place in the future. More events can be found at the CFE Faculty Resource Hub. All questions regarding the survey must be directed to [email protected]

Park to host session about NBC Sports’ career opportunities

An information session about career opportunities at the Editorial Division of NBC Sports will take place from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. April 3 in Park Auditorium. The session will be hosted by NBC professionals, including Brandon Glass ’15, and will discuss topics like career development and future opportunities for students to be involved in the Olympics that will take place in 2024 in Paris. On April 4, the editorial team will be conducting interviews for listed positions. Some examples of these positions are Time Researcher for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Time Writer for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Time Statistician for the Olympic Games, Sports Researcher, Digital Writer or Content Editor and Ticker Researcher. Eligible applicants have to be juniors or seniors with a journalism or communications background and at least a 3.0 GPA. Applicants are also encouraged to have above-average writing skills. Students interested in interviewing can do so through Handshake. On the day of the interview, students must carry with them writing samples and copies of their resumes. Interviewees must also be present at the Office of the Dean in the Roy H. Park School of Communications five minutes before their scheduled time in order to be led to their interview location. All questions regarding the general session and career opportunities must be directed to April Johanns, coordinator of student and external relations, at [email protected].

Panel discussion about gaming and mental health to be hosted

The Roy H. Park School of Communications will be organizing a panel discussion about wellness in online gaming from 6 to 7 p.m. March 30 via Zoom. The panel will include Brian Terwilliger ’03, ’18; Christie St. Martin, vice president of marketing at MGE Digital Gaming; and Justin Joseph ’99. The panel will be moderated by Alex Estabrook, instructor in the department of Media Arts, Sciences and Studies. Panelists will discuss the effect of video and digital games on the daily lives of gamers and will address audience’s questions toward the end of the discussion. The panel discussion is open to all students, faculty, staff and alumni and interested attendees can register through Intercom. All questions and accommodation requisitions must be directed to Estabrook at [email protected] or 607-274-1459.

H&S curriculum committee to host course design workshop

The School of Humanities and Sciences Curriculum Committee will be organizing a workshop about the design of four credit classes for faculty from 4 to 5:30 p.m. March 27 in Williams 222. The workshop is meant to help faculty plan their transition from teaching three to four credit courses and will allow them to begin thinking about courses for Fall 2023. Representatives from the committee will share their observations, after which faculty will engage in question-answer and planning sessions. Accommodation requests must be made to David Brown, associate dean in the office of the dean of H&S, at [email protected] or at 607-274-7375.

The writing center is accepting Fall 2023 peer tutor applications

The Ithaca College Writing Center is hiring peer tutors for Fall 2023. Interested students must apply for the position by midnight on March 26. Peer tutors are required to dedicate approximately 10 hours per week to the position and are also expected to be representatives of the Writing Center at admission and orientation events. They will also contribute to creating content for the center’s online writing lab. To apply, students must submit a cover letter, a resume, two writing samples of expository essays and an unofficial copy of their transcripts. Students can apply through the IC HR Cloud’s job database and if selected, have to take a two-credit course in the first block of Fall 2023 called Writing Center Pedagogy

SGC offers two leadership and academic based scholarships

Ithaca College’s Student Governance Council is accepting applications for the SGC Scholarship and the Margaret Reid Memorial Scholarship until 11:59 p.m. April 3. They are meant to award those students who have demonstrated academic and leadership excellence at the college. For more information, interested students can visit the SGC scholarships page. Students can apply through IC Engage and should contact [email protected] with any questions or concerns.

$1260
$2000