$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College encourages masks indoors after rise in COVID-19 cases

Abbey London/The Ithacan

Ithaca College is strongly encouraging campus community members to wear face coverings while indoors after an increase in positive COVID-19 cases. 

In an email to the college campus Aug. 25, Samm Swarts, assistant director for Emergency Preparedness and Response, said he wanted to alert the campus community about the sharp rise in COVID-19 cases within the student body. 

According to the college’s COVID-19 dashboard, as of Aug. 25 there are 46 student cases, three active employee cases and two active staff cases. The college has 40 rooms available in Boothroyd Hall for quarantine and isolation. 

In an email to The Ithacan, Swarts said the college is currently using additional space in Garden 29 to fit overflow cases. He said the college will start doubling up rooms in Boothroyd Hall with known positive cases to create more space.

“Last year we took extra steps in our public health policies, such as face coverings indoors, frequent hand hygiene and responsible social interactions to help control the spread of COVID-19,” Swarts said in the email to the campus community. “I am once again asking students, faculty and staff to follow these public health guidelines.”

The college stopped requiring face masks in indoor spaces in March 2022

Swarts said the college is still operating at a Green level status, but will continue to monitor the developing situation.  

Testing for campus community members is available at Boothroyd Hall, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m to 5 p.m. and Saturday and Sundays from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. PCR testing is no longer offered on campus and will only be accessible at the Cayuga Heath testing site at the Shops at Ithaca Mall or local urgent care centers.

$1375
$2000