Top news of the day
The stories you should check out
1. The Ithacan’s website won the national Online Pacemaker Award for 2013 at the Fall National College Media Convention Oct. 24–27 in New Orleans. The competition entries were judged from the Spring 2013 semester. The Ithacan also received a Newspaper Pacemaker Finalist Award.
2. Last week, Ithaca College unveiled a new alumni website that will enable alumni to network, connect with old friends and read the latest alumni news. The new website uses the existing Netpass system so alumni, faculty and staff can use their existing Netpass login information for access. Most features are available to site users without a login.
3. Cornell University announced its annual celebration of the end of classes — Slope Day — for 2014 will be held the day after classes instead of the last day of classes. The switch from previous years was made to eliminate student conflict and will save the university $40,000 in overtime pay for Cornell police and facilities and building staff.
What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss
1. The Ithaca College chapter of the American Marketing Association is holding a Halloween candy gram sale at 10 a.m. in the Business School Atrium.
2. The Ithaca College chapter of Women in Communications is hosting the New York Women in Communications Panel at 7 p.m. in Emerson Suites. Panelists include Julie Hochheiser Ilkovich, co-founder, managing partner and vice president of editorial relations at Masthead Media; Taylor Trudon, the deputy editor of HuffPost Teen; Katie Corrado, reporter and weekend anchor at CNY Central; and Robbie McKeon, a communications consultant.
3. The IC Comedy Club is performing a stand-up comedy show at 8 p.m. in IC Square.
What you missed this weekend
Parents descended on campus Oct. 25–27 for Family Weekend. Check out some of the tweets and photos about the weekend with #ICFamily and #ICVisJourn. #ICVisJourn was used by students in Professor Rada’s and Professor Adornato’s Visual Journalism classes.