Top news of the day
The stories you should check out
1. This year’s featured speaker for the First-Year Reading Initiative, author Colm Toibin, will speak at 7:30 p.m. in Hockett Recital Hall. Toibin is an award-winning author who wrote the 2013 First-Year Reading Initiative book, “Brooklyn,” which is about a young Irish immigrant and her struggle to fit into life in America. Check back later today for our Q-and-A with Toibin in Latest Headlines.
2. The City of Ithaca has launched its new automated parking garage program. The Dryden Road and Seneca Street parking garages will now be staffed from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. with “ambassadors” to help teach customers how the new system works and how to pay for parking before exiting the parking garage. Customers will be charged for parking between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Seneca Street garage.
3. Flu season is upon us! The Hammond Health Center announced it will hold four flu vaccination clinics over the next month in the Health Center and Emerson Suites. More information can be found here. Students can also schedule an appointment at the Health Center by calling 274-3177 or going online to MyICHealth.
What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss
1. The Mr. and Ms. Ithaca Competition will be at 8 p.m. in Emerson Suites. It costs $5 to watch the competition, but it is free with a senior card.
2. The college chapter of the American Marketing Association will host an internship panel called “The Good, the Bad and the Memorable,” at 4:30 p.m. in Park Auditorium. Panel members will speak about previous internships they had and share tips on how to prepare for an internship experience.
3. IC Spirit Week kicks off this week, hosting events like Clash of the Classes, Battle of the DJs and Taste of Ithaca. Theme days throughout the week include Silly Sock Monday, Throwback Thursday and Bomber Gear Friday. A full list of the week’s activities and theme days are listed on IC Spirit Week’s website and its Facebook page.
This Weekend in Social Media
The 31st Annual Apple Harvest Festival
The Ithaca community had bushels of fun at Apple Fest, which was held Oct. 4–6 near The Commons. Check out our Storify recap of the fall festival.