$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Thursday, Oct. 10

Top news of the day
The stories you should check out

1. Next in the Distinguished Visiting Writer Series is author Luc Sante. Sante is a nonfiction writer and contributor to the New York Times Magazine, and will be reading a selection from his works at 6 p.m. in the Handwerker Gallery. Follow Vicky Wolak who will be live tweeting the event with #ithacanartists @vickywolak, and check out our coverage of the event tomorrow in Latest Headlines.

2. The library is setting up a temporary cafe just in time for midterm week! The cafe will be on the second floor of the library and serve Starbucks, hot chocolate, Tazo Tea and other baked goods. The cafe will be open Sunday through Wednesday night. A complete list of the times can be found here.

3. Alum Marc Wigler ’87, an LGBT advocate, educator and comedian, is speaking at 7 p.m. in Klingenstein Lounge in the Campus Center as part of a celebration of tomorrow’s National Coming Out Day. Wigler graduated in 1987 with a degree in communications management and education. He is currently an adjunct faculty member in the School of Education of DePaul University, teaching graduate students about early childhood education and labor-management collaboration.

What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss

1. Career Services is holding a networking information session called “How to Meet the People You Need to Know,” at 4 p.m. in 101 Muller Center. This workshop will discuss the different ways that people network and how to do it effectively. Reserve your seat on eRecruiting.

2. The “Find Your Inner Seoul” film screening will feature five student documentaries filmed in South Korea last summer. The screening will be at 8 p.m. in Park Auditorium, and a short informational session about the Summer 2014 study-abroad program in South Korea will follow.

3. The IC Environmental Society will host an information session about Power Shift at 8 p.m. in Textor 102.

In Today’s Paper
Don’t have time to pick up today’s issue of The Ithacan? Read the highlights here.

News: This year, a record-breaking 21.7 percent African, Latino, Asian and Native American representation makes up the college’s first-year class. This number is up from 19.4 percent last year, according to data from the Office of Admission. Currently, ALANA students comprise 17.7 percent of the 6,723 students currently enrolled. The college is looking to exceed a 20 percent ALANA college-wide representation as part of the diversity goals stated in IC 20/20.

Sports: Every injury requires a set of recovery steps in order to reach the maximum level of competition. Our sports front breaks down some athletic injuries: concussions, shoulders, hands, knees and ankles. Read how athletes overcame their injuries and returned to their games.

Accent: A majority of college students heighten their caffeine intake around midterm week. In a survey conducted by The Ithacan, 74 percent of student respondents said they have between one and three cups of a caffeinated beverage a day, and 65 percent of respondents said coffee was their preferred source of caffeine.

$1495
$2000