Top news of the day
The stories you should check out
1. The African-Latino Society, the Student Activity Board and Created Equal hosted a poetry slam at 7 p.m. Sept. 18 in IC Square. The slam featured spoken artists, Odd?Rodd, Jinahe and Carlos Robson, and students had the opportunity to present during the open mic portion of the event. Check out our coverage.
2. The LGBT center will facilitate a discussion about changing conversations about LGBT media representations at 4 p.m. in the Handwerker Gallery. Led by Luca Maurer, the discussion will focus on the show, “Orange is the New Black” and the portrayal of the LGBT characters in the show. Check back later today for our coverage of the discussion.
3. Today is International Talk like a Pirate day, and Information Technology Services is using the occasion to discuss Internet piracy. ITS encourages students to avoid illegally downloading files and programs. Candy and bookmarks will be given out at all ITS help centers and labs.
What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss
1. Career Services is holding an informational session, “Tips and Tricks for Phone and Skype Interviews,” at noon at Career Services in Muller 101. Employers are relying more and more on phone and Skype interviews to screen potential candidates and in the presentation, attendees will learn how to prepare and what to expect for those types of interviews.
2. Distinguished visiting writer, Lydia Davis, will read from her short fiction works at 6 p.m. in the Handwerker Gallery. Davis is the winner of the 2013 Man Booker International prize and a MacArthur “Genius” award.
3. The Herbert J. Johnson Museum of Art is holding an artist talk with Roger Shimomura, at 5:15 p.m. Shimomura will discuss his current exhibition at the museum, “Minidoka on my Mind.”
In Today’s Paper
Don’t have time to pick up today’s issue of The Ithacan? Read the highlights here.
News: Studies have shown that more students are using e-cigarettes than ever before. Read our coverage here.
Sports: German-born kicker, Max “Das Booot” Rottenecker has amazed his teammates with his ability to easily hit long field goals. Read our profile of “Das Booot” here.
Accent: Have you ever wondered where your hops come from? Well check out our look into locally grown hops.