Top news of the day
The stories you should check out
1. A panel discussion about drone warfare was held yesterday in the Greater Ithaca Activities Center at 301 W. Court St. The discussion was titled “The War on Terror: Drones and the War on Crime: Who profits, who pays, who lives, who dies?” Check out our coverage in Latest Headlines.
2. Ithaca has been named America’s Best College Town by HomeInsurance.com. According to the website, Ithaca is No. 1 on the list because of its natural beauty and small-town charm. The list highlighted the city’s 150 waterfalls within 10 miles of downtown. Rounding out the list were towns like Ann Arbor, Mich., Berkeley, Calif., and Chapel Hill, N.C. Check out the complete list here.
3. Jeff Cohen, the director of the Park Center for Independent Media, will speak about his summer fact-finding delegation to Israel and the West Bank at 7 p.m. at the Unitarian Church Annex, 208 E. Buffalo Street. Cohen will show the short film “My Neighborhood,” and will take part in a Q-and-A session about the film and his experiences.
What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss
1. IC Spirit Week presents the first-ever Clash of the Classes from 7–9 p.m. in the Mondo Gym at the Fitness Center.
2. Toastmasters’ Open House is at 2 p.m. in the Taughannock Falls Room. Toastmasters is an internationally recognized group that helps its members develop public speaking and leadership skills. Interested campus community members — students, faculty and staff — are welcome to join the group.
3. Chocolate in the Chapel is an opportunity for all LGBT and allied students to meet one another, the campus chaplains and students from the chapel communities. The event is at 4 p.m. in Muller Chapel.
Ithaca College Rumors
True or not true?
There is a longstanding rumor among the student population that if your roommate dies, you get an automatic 4.0 GPA. This myth has run rampant in Hollywood, with movies like the 1998 film “Dead Man on Campus,” and has been featured on TV’s “The Simpsons,” and “CSI: NY,” among others. What do you think about this rumor? True or not true? Weigh in at @IthacanOnline with the hashtag #AskElma, and check out the answer in tomorrow’s paper.