$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Wednesday, Sept. 4

Top news of the day
The stories you should check out

1. Ithaca College seniors Rebecca Post and Stephanie Miller presented their research during the Young Researchers in Developmental Psychology symposium at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association in August. Their research found that when infants look at an object and hear the object’s name for the first time, the child is more likely to remember the word with the help of gestures. Read the full story about their experience at the symposium later today.

2. The President’s Council is hosting dialogs with faculty and staff on the college’s plans for increasing revenue and reducing expenditure in the years ahead. The first dialog meeting between faculty, staff and members of the President’s Council will be today from 9-9:50 a.m. in the Six Mile Creek room with President Thomas Rochon and Gerald Hector, the new vice president of finance and administration. A second meeting will be held the same day from 1-1:50 p.m. with Eric Maguire, the vice president of enrollment and communication, and Nancy Pringle, the vice president and general counsel of legal affairs. The other sessions and times are listed here.

3. The International Alliance for Women has named Ithaca College professor Kathleen Mulligan a recipient of its World of Difference Award. Mulligan will receive the award for her project, “Wheels for Women,” which benefits victims of domestic violence in Kerala, India. Contributing Writer Lauren McGrath met with Mulligan to discuss her project. Read her story here.

4. Applications for Senior Week Committee positions for junior co-chairs close Friday. The committee, made up of three seniors and three juniors, creates and manages events for the graduating senior class during the week between finals and commencement. Applicants are expected to be on campus for the next four semesters. To apply for the position, fill out this form.

5. Cancer patients around the country won a huge battle, as the Supreme Court ruled in June that human genes cannot be patented. Christopher Mason, an assistant professor of physiology and biophysics at Cornell, has been working for seven years to liberate the human breast cancer genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2  — patented by Myriad Genetics — to allow for additional research and second opinions on a breast cancer diagnosis. Men and women who have mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes have an increased risk of breast cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute. Watch an interview with the professor here.

What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss

1. Field Hockey: The Bombers take on SUNY-Oswego at 4 p.m. today in Higgins Stadium.  

2. Ithaca Common Council will meet at 6 p.m. today in the Common Council Chambers at City Hall, located at 108 East Green Street. On the agenda is a request by the Downtown Ithaca Alliance to permit wine, beer and hard cider tasting and sales at the 2013 Apple Harvest Festival, as well as a discussion of sidewalk improvement measures.

3. Rush night for Buzzsaw Magazine will be today at 8 p.m. in Williams 323. The magazine is looking for writers, photographers, layout artists, bloggers and other creative talent. Check out their website here.

Talk Back
Tell us what you think

Did you get a chance to read the Fall Sports Preview? What did you think?

$1495
$2000