•  

August 18, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

News

Live-blog: Ithaca College holds meeting addressing racism

Following rallies about the racial climate on campus, Ithaca College will hold an event titled “Addressing Community Action on Racism and Cultural Bias,” which aims to list possible actions about this issue that could be undertaken immediately.

The event will be held at 5 p.m. Oct. 27 in the Athletics and Events Center. The college’s administration announced the event Oct. 23, in conjunction with the leadership of Faculty Council, Staff Council and the Student Government Association.

“The purpose of this meeting will be to list a set of actions that we are identifying as first steps to be undertaken immediately,” the announcement said. “We will seek the feedback of those present on our list of actions as well as on additional actions directed at creating a more inclusive community that values diversity in an environment of mutual respect and inclusion.”

The Ithacan will be live-blogging the event, check back here at 5 p.m. to read the live-blog.

Max Denning October 27, 20154:54 pm

Just arrived at the event, some students who were present at the POC at IC protest Oct. 24 are passing out copies of the Student Government Association bill: “Initiating a Student Vote of No Confidence in Ithaca College President Tom Rochon.”

Max Denning October 27, 20155:04 pm

By my estimate, there’s probably over a thousand people here. Still large groups of people walking in. 

Faith Meckley October 27, 20155:12 pm

Crowds are starting to fill the bleachers in the back behind the main seating area.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:12 pm

Rochon: “Thank you all for being here at such an important event. Ithaca College has a problem… It is a problem on every college campus but that does not make it any less our problem.” 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:13 pm

Rochon: “Bias and discrimination destroy the human solidarity we all have the right to…. This is an evil that walks on this campus every day. ” 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:14 pm

Rochon: How can students fully explore their potential when faced with racism.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:14 pm

Rochon: IC can not be a learning community until it is a human community and one marked by dignity, respect and inclusion.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:15 pm

Rochon said one of his main goals was “effectively serving a far more diverse student body than we do now.” Our campus climate has not kept up with our student demographics.  

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:16 pm

Rochon says he has seen his own limitations, such as at the Blue Sky Reimagining Kick-Off event when he was “frozen in his seat” as the conversation got off track. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:16 pm

Rochon: I am suspending Blue Skies, IC 20/20 and all strategic workforce analysis. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:17 pm

Rochon said he is putting the three initiatives on hold to focus on the issue of diversity and inclusion. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:17 pm

Rochon introduced Sean Reilley. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:17 pm

Protestors starts chant of “Tom Rochon” No Confidence. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:18 pm

We’ve got a group of faculty holding up the word “NO”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:18 pm

Students storm the stage

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:18 pm

An estimated group of 40 students is now on stage. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:19 pm

Faculty members are taking part in the “No Confidence” chant.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:19 pm

Sophomore Ava Bryan: “We are here today to express an issue we have talked about time and time again.”

Max Denning October 27, 20155:19 pm

Bryan: “We must examine why we are here.” 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:20 pm

Bryan said the students oppose the top-down approach of the administration and want students to vote no in the SGA’s no confidence vote.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:21 pm

Junior Tate Johnson takes the microphone. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:21 pm

Johnson cites “Culture Moves,” Rochon’s book.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:22 pm

Johnson: “Tom Rochon does not pass on cultural values that are consistent with students at this institution.” Specifically students of color. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:24 pm

Johnson says it’s time for “radical change.”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:25 pm

Junior Kimberly Nicolas is discussing a student research paper from 2011 which suggested possible solutions. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:27 pm

Junior Kimberly Nicolas is discussing a student research paper from 2011 which suggested possible solutions, which she said have been ignored. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:27 pm

Nicolas brought up how the President and trustees were there for a presentation of the results, which spawned the Campus Climate Survey. She goes on to say that ALANA students are facing the same struggles they did in 2011. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:28 pm

Sophomore Gabby Malave is now bringing up the delay of the Campus Climate Survey results. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:30 pm

Malave spoke about the results of the Campus Climate Survey, saying they reveal the negative campus climate for ALANA students. Information about those results here: http://theithacan.org/news/campus-climate-survey-results-reveal-perception-gap/

Max Denning October 27, 20155:30 pm

Another student is now bringing up failures of Blue Sky event to engage students. She is quoting Dom Recckio’s letter in The Ithacan.  

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:31 pm

Student is discussing the difference between the response to the Blue Sky event and the response to AEPI’s planned party. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:32 pm

The student is reading the Ithaca College response to the Blue Sky event, in a not-so-serious voice. Audience erupted in applause and laughter. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:32 pm

Each student is ending their remarks with: “because of that we have no confidence in you,” referring to President Tom Rochon. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:34 pm

Another student is now discussing the response to the AEPi racially-charged party theme, saying the college absolved themselves from responsibility since AEPi is not affiliated with the college. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:34 pm

The student addressed members of AEPI, saying: “You are responsible,” and says they should be held accountable for what they did. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:35 pm

Another student says Rochon does not hold himself accountable when he messes up. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:36 pm

“How are we supposed to hold each other accountable if we can’t hold you accountable?” Student says, looking at Rochon. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:36 pm

Student says AEPi party invitation shows the way privilege works and was inherently racial. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:38 pm

Sophomore Marlena Candelario Romero says students associated with AEPI party have not been held accountable.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:38 pm

Romero says the refusal to cut ties with Christopher Burch shows how he has distanced himself and the college from the problem. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:39 pm

Another student says they do not support the meetings Rochon is trying to hold because meetings in the past have not led to results.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:40 pm

If you haven’t been paying attention, about 30 students, many associated with POC at IC, have taken the stage. Taking turns talking about why they have no confidence in Rochon. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:40 pm

He goes on to say the group will be holding demand sessions which will be posted on the POC at IC Facebook, which will be “free of administration and press.”

Max Denning October 27, 20155:41 pm

POC at IC says meeting is over, they’re walking out. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:41 pm

A majority of the crowd is leaving the meeting 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:42 pm

A large group of faculty members walked out with students.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:42 pm

Rochon and all of the members of the panel remain on the stage. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:42 pm

Group chanting: “Tom Rochon; no confidence” as they leave the A&E Center.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:44 pm

A room that was largely full, now has a number of empty seats. Room is at least half empty. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:45 pm

Rochon is now preparing to speak. “We have been given some great, vivid, powerful illustrations of why now is the time to act.” 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:46 pm

Rochon said if they had stayed, he would have thanked them for reading his book and that there are times where a community needs to drastically change.  

Max Denning October 27, 20155:46 pm

Rochon: “This is a meeting in which we are going to lay out an ambitious action agenda.”

Max Denning October 27, 20155:47 pm

Rochon now reintroduces Reilley. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:48 pm

A slide on the screen proposes “tailored programs in cross-cultural awareness and effectiveness identified and required for all staff and administration”, starting with baseline programing in January 2016. Every administration and staff member is required to attend additional diversity and inclusion training. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:48 pm

Comprehensive on-going diversity and inclusion competency education program for staff and administrators developed by HR for implementation Summer 2016. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:50 pm

All new employees will be required to participate in cross-cultural effectiveness training within three months of their hiring. All job descriptions will be updated with the expectation of competency in cross-cultural awareness and inclusion. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:50 pm

Current performance review expectations on diversity will be modified to include measurable merit outcomes related to participation in cross-cultural awareness and effectiveness programs by May 2017.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:50 pm

“All staff, from the bottom to the Presidential level will be held to the same level.” -Sean Reilley

Max Denning October 27, 20155:50 pm

Rothbart takes the microphone. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:51 pm

Beginning in fall 2016, new faculty orientation will include a half day on inclusion and multicultural competence in the classroom and in advising and mentoring students. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:51 pm

Rothbart said each academic department will hold an event or workshop to increase inclusive collegiality and professionalism. On Nov. 10, Faculty Council will develop a plan of action on inclusion and cross cultural effectiveness for faculty. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:52 pm

Volunteers, including trustees, members of the alumni board of directors and others, will complete cross-cultural awareness training by May 2016. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:52 pm

Faculty will set up and meet goals for diversifying volunteer leadership with annual check-ins and will revise volunteer roles and responsibilities with a focus on diversity and inclusion. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:53 pm

Chris Biehn approaches stage, says volunteers are essential to the campus community. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:53 pm

Rothbart brings up inclusivity of other groups, including LGBTQ students and students with disabilities. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:54 pm

Biehn: We will revise volunteer roles and responsibilities with a focus on diversity. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:54 pm

Rifkin takes the microphone to talk about faculty and staff recruitment. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:55 pm

Rifkin: All semi-finalist and finalist lists will be reviewed for diversity. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:55 pm

Rifkin is now discussing the new minority hiring policies:  http://theithacan.org/news/ithaca-college-releases-new-minority-faculty-hiring-policies/

Max Denning October 27, 20155:56 pm

Pre-doc faculty program for diversity will immediately be increased to four individuals and will be opened to all give schools. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:56 pm

Retention program for ALANA faculty will be developed by Spring 2016.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:57 pm

Student employees will now receive baseline training in cross-cultural awareness.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:57 pm

Rifkin now brings up Student Employment, the Office of Student Employment will develop a system for posting all open student employment positions for the upcoming year by March 2016.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:57 pm

Rifkin introduces Recckio.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:57 pm

An office to serve as the physical and emotional support “safe space” for ALANA students will be identified by Fall 2016. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:58 pm

Student Support: Guidelines for Resolving Discrimination Complaints, how to seek help, and resources available to students to support student complaints related to inequity and bias anywhere on campus will be displayed and distributed to all students by January 2016. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:58 pm

A mentor program linking ALANA alumni and students will be developed by Fall 2016. 

Max Denning October 27, 20155:59 pm

Increased emphasis on inclusion and respect added to the annual fall welcome in 2016, and in the Leadership Academy as of 2016.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20155:59 pm

Recckio says there will be increased emphasis on inclusion and respect in the Leadership Academy for athletes as of Fall 2016. Recckio says there will be an increased emphasis on inclusion and respect for leaders of student organizations for 2016-17.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:59 pm

There will be increased emphasis on inclusion and respect for leaders of students organizations.

Max Denning October 27, 20155:59 pm

Recckio introduces Rochon. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:00 pm

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:01 pm

Rochon says body cameras will be introduced by Fall 2016, and beginning immediately additional programming will support a positive relationship between Public Safety Officers and ALANA community members and visitors to campus. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:01 pm

Rochon on Public Safety: We will conduct an independent external review of Public Safety in Spring 2016. We will establish a campus community review board by January 2016. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:01 pm

Rochon brings up additional ongoing actions, including the Council for Diversity and Inclusion, read more here: http://theithacan.org/news/ithaca-college-creates-council-on-diversity-and-inclusion/

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:02 pm

Rochon reminds crowd a campus climate survey with external facilitation and analysis will be administered in Fall of 2016 semester. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:02 pm

Rochon now addressing Accountability. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:02 pm

There will be ongoing consultation and assessment of progress by the administration working directly with the leadership of Faculty Council, Staff Council and SGA.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:03 pm

Full transparency maintained by posting and regularly updating progress on each of these actions through an all-college website.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:03 pm

For each action, the relevant vice president will conduct an annual review of outcomes. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:04 pm

Pre-doc faculty program for diversity will immediately be increased to four individuals and will be opened to all five schools. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:05 pm

Student asks Rochon what the Public Safety program improvements will be.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:05 pm

Another student asks Rochon why he didn’t address sexism on campus. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:06 pm

Rochon said he wants to be clear everywhere they talked about inclusion includes a variety of groups, although they are currently focusing on race. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:08 pm

Another student asks Rochon what the additional programs between ALANA students and Public Safety Officers would look like, Rochon says he doesn’t know but there is a Public Safety/RA workgroup which is currently working.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:10 pm

Rochon is asked if he still thinks he can effectively do this job based on the lack of confidence in him from students and faculty. Rochon says he is doing the best he can and will let others judge him.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:11 pm

Rochon is asked if he think diversity training will be effective. Rochon says the college will create an environment that will make the training effective.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:12 pm

Students asks about current classmates and what type of training they will receive.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:13 pm

Rochon says they don’t have an answer to that at this moment. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:14 pm

Students asks who will be in charge of creating culture competency training, Rochon says outside consultants will help. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:14 pm

Student asks Rochon to include students of color in creating the training, points out that there are “Six white dudes” on the stage. Crowd applauses. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:15 pm

“What is the plan of action for now?” student asks about Public Safety officers.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:16 pm

Peter Rothbart, chair of Faculty Council, just took microphone and asked student if calling them six white dudes was a “microaggression.”  

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:16 pm

Rochon says at the beginnings of next semester the campus community review board will be a place for complaints to be filed, and that the delay to get body cameras is legal.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:17 pm

Marissa Booker is now telling Rothbart that racism is systematic.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:18 pm

Booker said listening to the panel “puts her through pain.” 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:20 pm

Booker says she is speaking as an individual and not as a representative of any group.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:21 pm

An African-American student is now bringing up how the majority of people in the room are white. “How do you expect us to accept from people who don’t look like us?”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:23 pm

Rochon said he was pleased to see the hall full earlier and was deeply saddened when people left. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:24 pm

Rochon said he was struck very forcefully when he read the list of student demands from the rally last week that the students wanted to see President Tom Rochon address the issue with concrete actions without delegation to committees and subcommittees, which he said he is doing right now. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:24 pm

Rochon points out that vice presidents and leaders of governance bodies on campus did not delegate to committees.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:25 pm

Rochon says action will be taken. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:25 pm

Student asks who will be on campus community review board, will it include students. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:26 pm

Rochon said this dialogue is very important and it will continue that as long as possible, gives people the option to leave.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:30 pm

Student asks Rochon why people should have faith in them. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:30 pm

Rochon says look at my results. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:31 pm

When he was asked to list results Rochon said 1. Look at my results 2. Look at my results 3. Look at my results. Members of the crowd ask: “What results?”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:32 pm

Student asks how the six people on the stage who are more privileged than “most of the people in the room” can effectively lead when they can not truly understand the issues. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:33 pm

Student asks the panel not to treat her like “an attacker” and says she should feel equal to the people on stage. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:34 pm

Student asks for more diversity in student body and administration. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:38 pm

Tim Conners brings up his privilege as a white male, said he felt like people on stage aren’t listening. Says Rochon’s results “suck right now.” Brings up accountability, need for holding campus community members accountable. Conners says people need to be uncomfortable during these conversations. If people go through training and aren’t held accountable, “then what?”  

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:38 pm

Rochon said accountability is the cornerstone of the program.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:42 pm

Student says he is angered by students assuming identitites because of the way they look. Says he is Puerto Rican and Muslim, but looks white. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:47 pm

Tom Bloss, information systems manager, comments, says the plans written out are very prescriptive. Bloss says there are wounds in the institution and the college as a whole. “How are we going to heal these wounds that have been created?” He says he doesn’t know many students of color on campus, and will personally try to get to know more students. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:48 pm

Only about 100 people left in the room. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:50 pm

Rochon said they will not be putting up the slides online immediately after this meeting because he wants to take into account the suggestions and comments from the meeting and index cards

Max Denning October 27, 20156:51 pm

Rochon says plan is not implementable in its current state.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:52 pm

Student asks how students will be held accountable for microaggressions and more blatant acts of racism?

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:53 pm

Rochon says there is a difference between how students can be disciplined on campus compared to off campus, references AEPi. 

Max Denning October 27, 20156:54 pm

Kyle James, SGA vp of academic affairs, asks Rochon: What are some things he’s done wrong in terms of diversity and inclusion on campus?

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:55 pm

Rochon said he has replayed in his head the Chris Burch comments many times, asks for empathy, says things are easier in retrospect than in the moment. “I did not react there the way I wish I had.”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:56 pm

He said he calls not replying to the Burch comment the “most painful” moment he has experienced in a long time. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20156:57 pm

Rochon said he is willing to bet many more students and faculty are more aware now than they were a week ago.

Max Denning October 27, 20156:58 pm

Student interrupts, says Rochon shouldn’t take credit. Rochon says he wasn’t, commends the Wednesday protest. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:00 pm

Student says he appreciates Rochon answering questions. Student states anti-semitism is an issue on this campus, and he is upset that students who took the stage made an anti semitic remark when they referenced the administrations response to the drawing of a swastika in East Tower a couple years ago.  

Max Denning October 27, 20157:00 pm

Rochon says anti-semitism is under umbrella of what needs to be addressed. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:01 pm

Rochon says it wasn’t that that act of hate wasn’t pursued vigorously, but that other acts of hate need to be addressed as vigorously. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:01 pm

Another student says Hillel supports initiatives and wants to be part of the discussion to move forward and encourages other students to be involved. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:02 pm

Rochon now doing one last sweep for questions. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:02 pm

Student asks Rochon how he expects the ALANA community to respect him.

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:03 pm

Rochon said he is motivated by moving the college forward and not by earning people’s respect. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:04 pm

Student brings up that changes need to happen now. Students says protests show how things need to happen now. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:06 pm

Another student brings up that more students at Ithaca College need to be informed about how to be more accepting and have a broader view of the world. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:07 pm

Same student asks Rochon how the college can include those most knowledgable, including professors with PHD’s in culture and communication. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:09 pm

Same student asks Rochon how the college can include those most knowledgable, including professors with PhDs in culture and communication. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:09 pm

Rochon said the observations truly resonates, says faculty, staff and administration need to be brought into greater awareness as well. He said he is proud of the Ithaca College Faculty for having a diversity requirement in the ICC. 

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:11 pm

Rochon: “Culture change needs to have many agents, there will be places where faculty members will be out front.”

Aidan Quigley October 27, 20157:16 pm

Student Josh Toomey suggests Rochon include ALANA students in positions of power in the initiatives. Rochon said he contacted a rally organizer and asked to speak with the group, which led to the meeting on Friday in which the group did not engage. Rochon said he does not fault them for not wanting to engage and hopes the campus will get to the point where that scenario is possible. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:21 pm

Faculty member Donald Lifton tells Rochon for the campus to move forward, he needs to step down. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:22 pm

Student asks Rochon why it took this long to address this issue, Rochon says he’s looking forward not looking back.

Max Denning October 27, 20157:25 pm

Rochon says diversity and inclusion are the most important things, demonstrates importance by how the college is pushing everything else aside.

Max Denning October 27, 20157:29 pm

Student asks Rochon when next draft of actions will come. Rochon says it will take feedback, but will respond urgently. Says a minority of the initiatives will be started this semester. Rochon says he’s not sure when the next draft will come. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:32 pm

Student now brings up the college’s statement in prospective students folders, says that was manipulating the protest’s voices and actions. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:35 pm

Gerald Hector, vice president of finance and administration, now takes the microphone in the crowd. Hector says he’s troubled by the fact that “there seems to be a notion that one individual can solve this.”  Hector talking about the City of Ithaca, brings up racism three of his children have to experience as students in the Ithaca community. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:37 pm

Hector says he understands blackness, as he is a black man. Hector says he’s upset by some of the notions that have come up today. He says dialogue is important.  Hector says he thinks the movement has morphed away from the issues and into “Get Tom Rochon.”

Max Denning October 27, 20157:37 pm

Hector says we need dialogue and it needs to happen now. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:39 pm

Hector says as he walks around the campus, he hears anger, frustration. Hector says he is a member of the ALANA community and he needs to be heard. He asks where do the solutions come from if there is no dialogue. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:40 pm

Hector says he has spoken to African-American groups on campus, talks about their shared lived experiences as black males, lists off police brutality, stereotyping in stores and in the community. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:41 pm

Hector says if we can’t sit together and have a discussion as a community, how are predominately white institutions supossed to ever address the issue?

Max Denning October 27, 20157:42 pm

Hector asks if any society can exist without conversations? Asks what is it really about, “Is it about do we want Dr. Rochon gone?” “If so, then what?”

Max Denning October 27, 20157:43 pm

Hector says we are at a time in the IC history that we must open up discussions. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:43 pm

Hector says, “how are going to have that understanding if we don’t have dialogue?”

Max Denning October 27, 20157:46 pm

Hector says he talks as an African-American male who has gone through the racism of corporate America, says when he got here the African-American community was shocked. Hector says we take our frustrations and we project it on one person, gesturing to Rochon. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:48 pm

Hector lists off steps 1. We have a problem 2. We have a problem that’s bigger than this one campus. 3. We have to actively engage in discussions. Hector says no one can do it by themselves, everyone must be engaged. He says he is committed to getting this done. Hector says this discussion decides the reputation of the college and its future. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:51 pm

Hector says he has seen how the President come around and tried to engage. Hector says he is upset because students threw that effort away. Hector says an honest effort cannot be rebutted because we want a specific action. Hector says at the end of the day, society has shaped the reality we have to deal with right now and it’s not going away. The culture on this campus is one that is strained and it is strained because we don’t understand the realities and the lived experiences of other people are on campus. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:54 pm

Student brings up that students are the one’s creating a community of prejudice, says students need to take this into their own hands and look at what they can do. 

Max Denning October 27, 20157:56 pm

Booker now has the microphone, says she thinks Hector disregarded what many students of color said. She then asks Rochon why ALANA students denied dialogue.

Max Denning October 27, 20157:57 pm

Booker says it’s not that ALANA students are not unwilling to speak, they just want more meaningful dialogue. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:00 pm

Booker tells Rochon that he needs to stop being in a public relations mindset. She calls the entire event PR. She says she doesn’t feel the sincerity of the event. Booker says she understands the problem is systematic and not just Rochon. She says she hasn’t heard Rochon take sincere responsibility for what happens on campus. Booker asks Rochon to respond as a human being. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:01 pm

Booker says she is talking as an individual, but she feels that her voice was disregarded, brings up the fact that meeting is still going with a large portion of the community not present. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:02 pm

Booker says she wants to be treated as a human being. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:02 pm

Hector now responding, says Booker doesn’t know his motivations. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:03 pm

Hector says now we’re having a dialogue, brings up importance of having continued dialogue. Hector says he considers this talk sincere.

Max Denning October 27, 20158:05 pm

Hector says for him to be successful he has had to work with people who don’t look like him. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:05 pm

Hector says dialogue and a motive from the heart is what the campus is missing. Hector says heartfelt dialogue is what this campus needs. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:07 pm

Hector says his actions are beyond sincere. Hector says the folks he serves with have been trying to work on this since the RA Public Safety issue. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:09 pm

Hector and Booker now going back and forth, Booker says she feels disrespected. Hector says he isn’t trying to disrespecting her. Hector says the issue is much larger than any one individual. Hector says leadership requires dialogue and understanding other points of view. 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:12 pm

Another staff or faculty member is given the microphone from Booker, he says his experience is that Rochon does care. He says students feel invalidated on campus.  

Max Denning October 27, 20158:13 pm

Rochon is now wrapping up, he thanks everyone on stage. Thanks the crowd for attending. “If we actually work on this together as I believe we will, we’ll make a very big difference.” 

Max Denning October 27, 20158:13 pm

That’s a wrap.