$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Public Safety investigating report of man with handgun

The Office of Public Safety is investigating a report of a man entering Dillingham Center with a handgun around 9 p.m. Friday.

According to an Ithaca College emergency notification sent out Friday night, a caller reported to Public Safety at 9:42 p.m. that they saw a man enter Dillingham from the loading dock around 9 p.m. “with what appeared to be a silver-handled handgun sticking out of the back waistband of his pants.”

The caller described the suspect as a college-aged white male about 6′ to 6’2″ with short blond crew-cut hair and wearing a navy blue t-shirt, dark cargo pants, and dark shoes.

Public Safety, along with the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office, searched Dillingham and the surrounding buildings and grounds, but no subject was located.

As of 9 a.m. Saturday, David Maley, associate director of media relations, said no arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.

At the time of the call to Public Safety, the opera “Gianni Schicchi and Suor Angelica” was being performed in Hoerner Theatre. Maley said Public Safety was able to conduct its search without disrupting the performance.

“As the performance was ending, [Public Safety] expedited the emptying of Dillingham Center, and they used that opportunity to observe all the audience members to see if anyone matched the description,” Maley said. “Then they continued their search of the building and the surrounding area.”

Freshman Amanda Packard, who attended the opera at Hoerner Theatre on Friday night, said she saw two policemen as she was leaving but said she was unaware anything was out of the ordinary.

“We really didn’t think anything of it, and I just thought the policemen were there for crowd control because there were a lot of people, so I didn’t put two and two together thinking that something was actually wrong,” Packard said.

In the emergency notification, Public Safety said they believe there is no immediate danger.

Anyone with information should contact Public Safety at 274-3333.

Check back for updates to this story. Last update: 10:40 a.m. Saturday. 
$1375
$2000