$1275
$2000

Public Safety looking into two burglaries in Circle Apartments

The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is investigating two reports of burglaries in the Circle Apartments on Thursday.

A Public Safety Alert went out Thursday afternoon describing the two separate incidents. Items that were stolen include electronics and sporting equipment. It is unknown if the two burglaries are related, the report said.

The first occurred in Circle Apartment 150 between midnight and 2 a.m. The alert said missing items included electronic gaming devices and a laptop. At the time of the incident, the apartment was occupied. According to the alert, entry may have been through the back sliding glass door, which residents left closed but unlocked. Residents reported two or three subjects broke in and fled from the area carrying items, some of which were dropped and later recovered by Public Safety.

According to Investigator Tom Dunn, a third party at an off-campus location reported seeing the subjects crossing Danby Road, heading west toward Stone Quarry Road. The third party described one subject as a white male between 17 and 20 years old.

The second burglary occurred between 1 a.m. and 8 a.m. in Circle Apartment 180. The apartment was also occupied at the time of the incident. Entry may have been through the unlocked but closed front door. The PSA reported miscellaneous items were stolen, including electronic gaming devices and lacrosse sticks. There is no suspect information relating to this case.

Dunn said some of the items stolen from the second incident were found with items from the first. He said while the burglaries are likely related, the officers don’t know for sure.

“There is certainly a high potential that at 2 a.m. the same people that burglarized [Circle] 150 burglarized [Circle] 180,” Dunn said. “There is certainly a high potential that that could have occurred.”

Anyone with information should contact the Office of Public Safety at 274-3333 or report anonymously at 274-1060.

Dunn said students and other members of the campus community should always lock their front and sliding glass doors while sleeping, because unlocked doors have the potential for unknown people to enter.

Check back later for updates.

$1275
$2000