$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Editorial: Media potential

Journalism curriculum does not provide students with foundational training in the full range of media necessary to succeed in their field

Ithaca College recently hosted Carl Corry, the online editor for Newsday, to speak about the rise of smartphone journalism. Corry reiterated that journalists must come out of school knowing the basics of multimedia as well as having journalism skills.

If the college brings field professionals like Corry to discuss concepts that aim to coincide with the Roy H. Park School’s curriculum for journalism students, it needs to teach these new ideas.

Required courses — Introduction to Journalism, Visual Journalism and Multimedia Journalism — should prepare journalists to tell stories through print, photography, video and social media, all while converging online and integrating into multimedia packages. The smartphone is a recent addition.

Yet this preparation is not happening. By only sticking to what they know in the classrooms, professors do not properly expose students to all media. Vital assets for future journalists, such as photojournalism, are completely neglected.

While the journalism program looks excellent on paper, it fails to instruct students how to tell stories through all possible media. Journalists in the field cannot afford to be limited to one medium, and neither can journalists in the classroom.

$1495
$2000